Wiring up a 1UZFE

General Chat About Electrics, And Ignition Systems.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

rcx995

Wiring up a 1UZFE

Post by rcx995 »

Will I get much help with the 1UZ on this forum? It seems to be Rover orientated?

I've got my VVTi 1UZFE on my workbench. I've got the engine loom but there's a lot of wires that lead outside of the loom and I don't know what to do with them. I'm wondering with the time spent in figuring out the loom I might be better off just making a new one. I've found the pin-out diagram for the ECU. What do people think?

Reading some tutorials I get the idea that even experienced enthusiasts aren't able to clear the minor ECU error codes, or are saying that they are not important and to leave them. But won't those minor errors make the Check Engine Light come on, which will then fail an MOT? Plus I need to put my car through an IVA test to get it road registered.

The pinout I found for my engine shows some blank pins even though my engine loom has wires on those pins. So this is all probably going to be a pain in the a**.

unstable load
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by unstable load »

As a rule, looms are made to accommodate a vehicle's entire series, and systems that are not present in a particular model will be simply deleted or the means will be put in place to work around them in the vehicle's wiring.
The "unused" pins in your engine are those systems.. the harness has the connections, but the car will have some bits not fitted.

Here is a crowd in South Africa that offers a wiring harness for the Lexus and a lcally developed ECU, I don't know much about them personally, but I know 2 guys running the ECU and haven't heard any grumbles...
http://www.lexusv8conversions.co.za/p/4 ... l-unit-ecu
and the ECU manufacturer...
http://www.spitronics.com/
Cheers,
John

rcx995

Post by rcx995 »

Hey, I know about the Spitronics but not sure how much it costs. I'll email and ask.

One friend said there's an ECU for £250 but not sure if that includes harness and how difficult it is to configure. F1Moto do a ready made kit, plug and play, but it's expensive at £1200.

rcx995

Post by rcx995 »

About the loom being made to accomodate many vehicles in the series, I know about that. The problem I'm facing is that there's a lot of cut wires on the engine loom that I was given. Maybe these wires were going from the engine loom to the main loom or somewhere. Basically in the time it takes me to figure out this loom I'm wondering if I could make a whole new loom which will also be neater and better suited to my car.

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

rcx995 wrote:About the loom being made to accomodate many vehicles in the series, I know about that. The problem I'm facing is that there's a lot of cut wires on the engine loom that I was given. Maybe these wires were going from the engine loom to the main loom or somewhere. Basically in the time it takes me to figure out this loom I'm wondering if I could make a whole new loom which will also be neater and better suited to my car.
You'd still need to know what wire goes where to make a new loom?

There could well be lots to and from the ECU you won't need/want when using it standalone. You really need a proper schematic to decide which.

What you really need is info from someone who has used this engine in another car. They will already have sorted out any problems. Could take some searching to find, though.

The alternative would be to use something like a MegaSquirt.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

rcx995

Post by rcx995 »

Hi Dave, I've found a Pinout, wiring diagram, and even explanation of most of the pinouts. It seems to be 90% accurate but not 100%. I'm just going to go through it now and then decide whether to go aftermarket or stick to stock.

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

Is this engine a Lexus V8? If so, there was a very long thread on the SD1 Club Forum about fitting that and the auto box to an SD1. So might be worth a look. You don't need to be a member to use the forum. A search on Lexus there should find it.

The owner sold it shortly after finishing it. And spending a small fortune. :D
Last edited by DaveEFI on Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

Cobratone
Is a Spanner

Post by Cobratone »

Several people have fitted that engine to cobra replica's. Have a search on that forum http://www.cobraclub.com/forum/forum.php or PM tonyd on there as he is a whizz with the lexus engine and it's wiring. I think he claims to be able to get one running with the original ecu and three wires!

Return to “Electrical & Ignition Area”