14CUX PIN 6 Speed Transducer Input?

General Chat About Electrics, And Ignition Systems.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Tom.H

14CUX PIN 6 Speed Transducer Input?

Post by Tom.H »

Evening all
I have a 14CUX ECU on my 3.9 Rover V8. I’ve had to do a little rewiring and have come a cropper.
I have a yellow wire leading to the ECU plug which I have traced to be pin 6 (Speed transducer). After doing some research I’ve worked out this is a variable voltage pulse signal to the ECU. My vehicle does not have or require any sort of speed sensor so I wondered what the importance of this signal was and if it can in any way be replicated.

Appreciate your time
Tom

SimpleSimon
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by SimpleSimon »

I would try it without it just allows the idle speed to wind down progressively as you approach junctions etc and was incorporated for the top speed limiter when fitted to certain LR 4WD vehicles, some vehicles will run happy without this speedo pulse I have a TVR that had no speed signal from the pick-up on the rear axle for 2 summers (I used the satnav speedo) on an RV8, even when I decided to renew the pick-up unit it made no notable difference to the cars behavior, however you need to make sure the base idle bleed screw settings are correct or you may be plagued by stalling while you approach junctions etc
TVR Chimaera RV8 Mods & Megasquirt

Tom.H

Post by Tom.H »

Thanks for the reply. The vehicle is never likely to see a junction, only a Welsh logging track! The 6 pin connector was previously wired to an ignition 12volt but clearly this was not correct. The engine has never stalled but does have an unsettled high idle (revs will sit at 1500rpm but roughly every minute drop to 800rpm for a few seconds).

richardpope50
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by richardpope50 »

It is used for two purposes.

1.) To detect when vehicle is moving so that it can disconnect the idle speed control mode (when car moves).

2.) To drive the electronic speedometer.

All as per the LR manual I have.
Richard.
Dax Rush 5.0l TVR V8, EFI with Megasquirt ECU and wasted spark, Racelogic Traction Control and Quaife LSD ....... Now nut and bolt restoring a TR6

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ian Anderson »

Is that the pin that needs a 490 hom resistor across it to fool the ECU into ignoring the expected tach signal?

Ian
Owner of an "On the Road" GT40 Replica by DAX powered by 3.9Hotwre Efi, worked over by DJ Motors. EFi Working but still does some kangaroo at low revs (Damn the speed limits) In to paint shop 18/03/08.

SimpleSimon
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by SimpleSimon »

Ian Anderson wrote:Is that the pin that needs a 490 hom resistor across it to fool the ECU into ignoring the expected tach signal?

Ian
No Ian thats another :D
TVR Chimaera RV8 Mods & Megasquirt

Return to “Electrical & Ignition Area”