spitronics EFI system

General Chat About Electrics, And Ignition Systems.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

v8alligator
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

spitronics EFI system

Post by v8alligator »

All,

Just wondering if anyone has been able to get a Spitronics EFI system running on a Rover V8. A friend has the Mercury kit running on his Lexus V8 engine and it looks like a very cost effective plug and play set up which is 100% tune-able for any set up.
Spitronics have stated that they have never done a Kit for the Rover V8 but they are prepared to give it a try and to let me try it out first.

I know the alternatives are already about but from a cost standpoint I just cant justify the Rolls Royce options which megasquart offers.

Bryan

unstable load
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by unstable load »

If you are going to be thier guinea pig, then at least wangle a discount out of them.

Personally, I can't see it being an issue, though. Sensors are sensors and inputs are inputs, so no reason it shouldn't work as long as the map is to suit the engine, which could be an issue as you are first off the blocks on type.

Out of curiosity, what format are the maps, and are they compatible with MegaSquirt, for example?

They are quite popular in South Africa because they are local, but I'd go with MS, personally if I were you, simply by weight of numbers and experienced dyno guys etc. I'm not trying to knock them, but you will struggle for support, so far from home, as it were, in my opinion.
Cheers,
John

v8alligator
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by v8alligator »

Hi John,

Thanks for the response.

Yes extremely good discount for being there test setup

They are really well rated in Africa and friends who live there run there systems on there off road racers, street cars and even rotary engines.

I dont know what format the MS system runs so could not comment.

The Mercury set up looks very comprehensive and they have been very fast to respond to calls and shipping is only 3 days.

Will keep you all posted on how it goes

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: spitronics EFI system

Post by DaveEFI »

v8alligator wrote:All,

Just wondering if anyone has been able to get a Spitronics EFI system running on a Rover V8. A friend has the Mercury kit running on his Lexus V8 engine and it looks like a very cost effective plug and play set up which is 100% tune-able for any set up.
Spitronics have stated that they have never done a Kit for the Rover V8 but they are prepared to give it a try and to let me try it out first.

I know the alternatives are already about but from a cost standpoint I just cant justify the Rolls Royce options which megasquart offers.

Bryan
Had a look at their site and can't seen any prices.

I'd be very surprised if it were cheaper than MegaSquirt - like for like.

Are you intending a DIY installation, or having it pro fitted?

Beauty with MS is it is intended for DIY installation, so all the instructions are out there. Although granted can seem daunting. But IMHO better than having limited information.

Also I've never found a true plug and play system for a RV8, as there are so many variations, all of which effect the installation/tune. Especially since so many are also not even to a standard spec.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

H
I would give it a go if they are prepared to give you a good chunk of discount. It looks like they have thought about some of the MSQ issues, the epoxy encasing should toughen it up a bit and the driver protection should deal with the MSQ habit of burning out the injection drivers when you are setting up the parameters for the injection. With luck it should be a lot less work than a megasquirt, but I would get them to send you a PDF of the manual before you spend any money.
best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

v8alligator
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by v8alligator »

Thanks for the info.

As a heads up a complete kit and I mean complete. Everything you could need to run a completely bare Gem based V8 engine including everything is looking at <£500 delivered so that is a massive saving over the cost of MS.

I already have the wiring diagrams along with the demo software and the tuning options are endless.

I cant see why the same system could not be used on much larger V8s.

I know my way around the Gem and Motronic based systems well so am planning on this being a 90% Plug and play arrangement.

Will keep you all posted on the results once the kit arrives and the engine fires up. Plan is to use a test engine 1st rather then the one in the car just to give me the chance to get it right.

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

I'm assuming their website is out of date? According to that, their flagship Mercury has only 6 injector drivers. So you ain't going to get sequential.

When you say a completely bare Gems engine, do you mean they will supply all the sensors, injectors, looms, coils etc and ECU for £500?
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

If it's sub £500 for all wiring, sensors, triggers, coils etc etc, delivered in the UK with all duties paid, then it is cheap.

I'd find it hard to believe it will be fully complete for that price though, but could be worth a shot.

Have they listed exactly what you're getting for that money ? And what you need to buy or supply yourself ?

The software doesnt look too bad at all, definitely basic with options kept to a minimum, but that isnt a bad thing if you're just getting started.

But it is a no frills ecu for sure and could be good to learn with.
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

v8alligator
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by v8alligator »

Hi

The kit comes with, Coil packs, loom, water temp, oil temp, MAP sensor, 2 Lambda sensors, pickup wheel and ECU and is designed to use the standard AFM, Injectors and TPS which are factory fit on a GEM based V8 engine. All I will need to do is fit the right connectors on the loom to suit the rover V8 as the plan is to use the Lexus kit as a starting point.

You are right that they only have 6 injector drivers on there current system but they are going to increase this to 8 to support a full sequential system.

As already stated we have already installed this system on a lexus 1UZFE Engine in a jeep and it works really well. We also used there auto box control system from Spitronics and it gives masses amounts of configuring options including programming for up to 4 set-ups. Road, Off road, Towing etc.

The standard Kit delivered for the Lexus 1UZFE engine was <£300 delivered and this included the 2 ECUs (auto box and engine), Trigger wheel and loom (we used the old coil packs, injectors, temp Sensor and MAP for that install)

Will keep you all posted on how it goes, the plan is to try this out on a Gem based 3.9 why I am building the 4.2 litre lump for my new project.
Last edited by v8alligator on Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

Sounds like a great value starter
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »