what size resistor

General Chat About Electrics, And Ignition Systems.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

gelmonkey
Sergeant Monkey Face

what size resistor

Post by gelmonkey »

Hi All
After paying out for two Auto meter fuel sender units and both of them not working properly I have decided that it may be better to go back to the original Cavalier sender unit and then put a resistor inline to get the correct Ohms reading and of course correct fuel level reading (Ive run out twice much to my embaresment)
The Cavalier uses 0 to 90 ohms range for full and empty and the Auto Meter uses a 33 to 240 ohm range.
Is there a formula for working out the resistor size or do I need a Potentiometer to work this out?

Thanks in advance

cheers
P

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

There's no answer that will give you both ends of the scale working properly.

If you got a 150ohm resistor in series, then the total resistance would be 240ohms at one end, but 150ohms at the other, so you'd get a reading of 1/2 for a full tank, but a reasonable reading for empty.

You could use a 33ohm resistor instead, so full would work properly, but when the tank is empty you would have 123ohms, which is again a reading of about 1/2 a tank, so you'd probably run out all of the time.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ian Anderson »

Hi Paul

Give ETB a ring, they should be able to get something with the right numbers
http://www.etbinstruments.com/Sensors_ancillaries.htm

Ian
Owner of an "On the Road" GT40 Replica by DAX powered by 3.9Hotwre Efi, worked over by DJ Motors. EFi Working but still does some kangaroo at low revs (Damn the speed limits) In to paint shop 18/03/08.

gelmonkey
Sergeant Monkey Face

Post by gelmonkey »

Thanks guys
Need to sort something out as getting narked off with the fuel reading being wrong all the time.
My mate Malc has got a potentiometer he is sending down so hopefully I can work from that as well as talk to ETB and consider what Chris has said also.
Bloody cars!!

cheers
P

r2d2hp
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by r2d2hp »

Hi Paul

Something loke this might work. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fuel-Gauge-Wi ... 3a7f14fa8b

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi Paul
go with
:whs

I was going to say "what you need is an op amp and a power transistor", honest, and look the wise Reg has found you one of each in a nice box.
How are you mate? on the mend I trust :D
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

gelmonkey
Sergeant Monkey Face

Post by gelmonkey »

Hello guys
I am sure you lot have become my full time but distant care assistants :lol:

Reg that looks right up my street mate.
I was looking at changing the gauge and sender as Auto Meter do a 0 90 ohm range gauge which is now available .
It may well have been when I bought all of the gauges but was not aware of it at the time
I have found a brand new sender unit on E bay so I reckon that with the magic box and new sender I could finally have that little bug ironed out.
With regard to my mending I am on the right track now.
Understandably still sore but am off the crutches and can manage about 30 mins on my feet before it starts to hurt again so thats good.
Going back to work on Thursday come hell or high water but only doing light duties.

Thanks guys you are stars.

cheers
P

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

Fuel gauges are generally a form of volt meter. It looks like the sender produces a higher voltage than needed, so an attenuator that also matches impedance should work. Basically three resistors.
There are online calculators for the values.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

Eliot
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by Eliot »

I made a self calibrated LED fuel gauge because my petrol tank is triangle shaped.
Essentially there are 8 voltage comparators, each one compares the voltage from the sender with a reference voltage set using a multi-turn pot.
Once built you go to the petrol station with an empty tank and get an assistant to fill the tank up, but stopping at known increments - at which point you twiddle the pot to make the led come on, then carry on to the next one.

http://www.mez.co.uk/ms13-new.html

I'm happy to solder one up for you if you are uneasy with the electronics side.
Eliot Mansfield
5.7 Dakar 4x4, 4.6 P38 & L322 TDV8
www.mez.co.uk / www.efilive.co.uk

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

Sounds an excellent idea, Elliot. The standard one on my SD1 is distinctly non linear - it gets through the bottom half much quicker than the top half.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

DaveEFI wrote:Sounds an excellent idea, Elliot. The standard one on my SD1 is distinctly non linear - it gets through the bottom half much quicker than the top half.
It's fairly normal for senders or tank design to be non linear, to give the gauge more resolution as fuel runs lower.

There are a couple of places that make custom senders in the dip tube style, not sure about lever arms though. The dip tubes arent expensive though.

I got mine from Fozmula.

But if you're matching an OEM sender to a different gauge, the fuel gauge wizard is probably the handiest way
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

Blown v8
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Blown v8 »

richardpope50
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by richardpope50 »

Richard.
Dax Rush 5.0l TVR V8, EFI with Megasquirt ECU and wasted spark, Racelogic Traction Control and Quaife LSD ....... Now nut and bolt restoring a TR6

gelmonkey
Sergeant Monkey Face

Post by gelmonkey »

Hi All
My apologies for not coming back to you sooner.
After looking at various options I have ended up with the fuel wizard and new sender.
The sender is an odd ohms reading unit but the guys at FW have calibrated the unit to the sender and the guage for me already.
Having lost 10 whole days because of what happened at the Pod work stacked up very quickly and I have been unable to either fit the unit or have much time to come on here.
Thank you to all who offered opinions help and taking the time to look at the options for me.
Thank you again guys.

cheers
P

Return to “Electrical & Ignition Area”