Anyone chopped a dizzy down to size (as a blank after DIS)

General Chat About Electrics, And Ignition Systems.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

RogerD
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Anyone chopped a dizzy down to size (as a blank after DIS)

Post by RogerD »

I've switched to a DIS MJ system and don't need my dizzy. I see you can buy a "dinky" dizzy that is severely cut down to a stump - so it still operates the oil pump.

I' don't want to pay £75 for a dizzy stump so I'll cut mine down. Just checkking where I should cut - anything I should watch out for? (I've nto seen inside a dizzy so I'll find out when I start cutting!)

Eliot
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by Eliot »

I've done it to a chevy HEI dizzy, i think i cut the bulk of the casting away then trued it up in the lathe and then made a cap to finish it off.

Eliot Mansfield
5.7 Dakar 4x4, 4.6 P38 & L322 TDV8
www.mez.co.uk / www.efilive.co.uk

sowen
Getting There
Getting There

Post by sowen »

This is mine, just cut the top off leaving enough of the base to screw an aluminium plate to the top to seal it off

1972 Rover 2000TC M16 turbo
1975 Land Rover OM606 diesel
1984 Rover SD1 3500 Megasquirt powered

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Anyone chopped a dizzy down to size (as a blank after DI

Post by DaveEFI »

RogerD wrote:I've switched to a DIS MJ system and don't need my dizzy. I see you can buy a "dinky" dizzy that is severely cut down to a stump - so it still operates the oil pump.

I' don't want to pay £75 for a dizzy stump so I'll cut mine down. Just checkking where I should cut - anything I should watch out for? (I've nto seen inside a dizzy so I'll find out when I start cutting!)
What you might consider is will you ever go to sequential? If so makes sense to cut it down as a cam position sensor. Saves having to buy a second dizzy and doing it all again later. Don't ask me why I know. :D
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

Return to “Electrical & Ignition Area”