setting timing on this rover v8 twin turbo

General Chat About Electrics, And Ignition Systems.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

mcmental
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

setting timing on this rover v8 twin turbo

Post by mcmental »

right folks,ive managed to get hold of a strobe gun that works now so im going to see what the timing is set at.
not done this since 1991 when they sent me to college from school for a week!!!!!

so whats best/easiest way to set it up?
i know i need to remove and plug the advance tube,i can seee the tdc mark on the pulley and the rotor arm is lined up with plug lead number 1.

answers on a postcard please whilst i walk the dog and go pickup the wedding suits for next week.

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

Normal way is to use some masking tape either side of the correct line on the pulley - say 6 degrees BTDC or whatever - and paint on some tippex. Do the same to the edge of the pointer.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

DEVONMAN
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by DEVONMAN »

Once you have marked the pulley with tippex at say 6 degrees BTDC, Connect the gun to No 1 plug lead, start the engine and point the gun at the timing pointer whilst the engine is ticking over. (less than 1000 RPM),

The tippex mark should appear steady and close to the pointer,
If the mark is not near the pointer then loosen the clamp on the dizzy and rotate it slowly in both direction and watch the mark move away or closer to the pointer. Tighten the dizzy when the mark coincides with the pointer.
Now rev the engine slowly and watch the tippex mark. It should appear to move to the advance side of the pointer and that shows you that the advance mechanism in the distributor is working. If it dosen't move then the internals of the dizzy are seized.

For boost installations you should have some way of retarding the ignition when the boost is active. There are several electronic boxes available such as the MSD boost retard which has a dash mounted knob to adjust the rate of retard .
As a starting point the retard could be set at 1 degree per pound of boost but every installation will need a different setting.

If you fit a retarder box then you MAY be able to advance the static timing to say 12 degrees BTDC which will give you a better off boost response from the engine.

Regards Denis
1950 A40 Devon Hotrod with 5.0 twin turbo RV8.
EDIS8 wasted spark, Holley Injection.
Been as far as the Moon and back in 57 years of driving. Same Car, 5 engine upgrades !!!

Return to “Electrical & Ignition Area”