help needed on wiring up!

General Chat About Electrics, And Ignition Systems.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

nimmo
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

help needed on wiring up!

Post by nimmo »

hi all i've reached the wiring point now and i've set myself a challenge by doing this myself, problem is i've never done it before, so here go's, i have
1 3.5 v8 on carbs
1 battery= + and -,
1 starter (sd1 type) 2 spade connecter 1 small 1 larger and 2 and 2 ring connecters one with large cable attached from solonoid to starter
1 alternater with 3 ring connecter and 1 spade connecter attachements on the back
1 dizzy with a wire coming from the side with a spade connecter attached
1 fuel pump facet type
still to get a coil!
could someone maybe spend a bit of time and let me know how to wire this bad boy or maybe has a diagram i could go from??????, cheers in advance.

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

You need a mate who can come and help you 'in the flesh' so to speak.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

where abouts are you mate?
Regards Tony C (COOPS)
MS2 V3.57 Ecu mapable efi and wasted spark ignition.
Procharger D1SC supercharger and Cossie RS500 Intercooler @ 14psi of Boost. 416 RWHP, (boost leak)
Forged 4.8 V8 kitted out with the dogs Cajones of parts. :D
Sponsored by: www.v8performanceparts.co.uk, www.interpart.biz, www.caprisport.com & www.baileyperformance.co.uk

nimmo
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by nimmo »

up in scotland, in between glasgow and edinburgh

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

ah bugger, bit to far for me mate sorry im way down south :(
Regards Tony C (COOPS)
MS2 V3.57 Ecu mapable efi and wasted spark ignition.
Procharger D1SC supercharger and Cossie RS500 Intercooler @ 14psi of Boost. 416 RWHP, (boost leak)
Forged 4.8 V8 kitted out with the dogs Cajones of parts. :D
Sponsored by: www.v8performanceparts.co.uk, www.interpart.biz, www.caprisport.com & www.baileyperformance.co.uk

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi
one solution is one of these
http://www.cbsonline.co.uk/product/Cbs_ ... dule_WRMOD
it is a fully labled fuse board with instructions, save you alot of grief but not cheep by you hae bought all the wire to go with it.
Otherwise copy a loom off an older car (avoid range rover wiring though) but group everything logically to fuses and use lots of them, it will let you isolate parts of the loom for fault finding when you are done.
finally there are people who make looms that are "generic" in that they can be used on many cars , I'll look at the one I bought for another project, the best thing about it was the full instructions, a real help!
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

Without intending to be rude :D it's one of these things that if you have to ask such basic questions about, you'd be better getting it done by a pro or whatever. Badly done wiring is one of the biggest source of problems.

Haynes do a very good manual on car electrics which covers the basics pretty well. Everything you need can be bought from the likes of Vehicle Wiring Products.

I'd be willing to help too - but live in London.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Whilst I am inclined to agree with Dave on the subject of having to ask, I still feel you can do a job like this with very minimal experience if you are very methodicle, brake the job down to to seperate areas, and keep it simple.
As I said earlier split the loom into seperate areas, using fuses to isolate everything and relays to control groups systems. Split the lights into left and right sides and feed both via relays so you end up with a control system (the switch and relay) and a driven system, lights left and right. Likewise treat the dash as a system with it's own supply and return, all the engine electrics another supply and its feeds from senders to the dash just the signal side.
It would still be best to go with a pre-made loom though, I spent 6 years of my "career" as a prototype wireman, I am a qualified broadcast engineer with over 20 years experience working in electronics and broadcast networks and I still bought a pre made "universal" loom when I came need to do this. Apart form anything else because you buying the loom you don't bave to buy all the reals of cable and packs of plugs when you only need 4 feet of cable or one plug, it saves alot of money.
Best regrads
Mike
poppet valves rule!

JSF55
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by JSF55 »

You can have a look at this post and see if it helps or hinders any !
http://www.nsra.org.uk/newforum/showthread.php?t=43253
So thats where it went !

nimmo
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by nimmo »

thanks for the info and the offering of help guys, i'll let ya'll know what i end up doing thanks again.

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

Vehicle Wiring Products (and others) sell all the cable colours and sizes by the metre. Personally, I'd use the correct colours for the age and make of vehicle. If it's a BL product etc, it uses the BS colours. Here they are:-

Most connectors are crimped. To do this properly requires the correct crimp tool. These ain't cheap.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi
further to what Dave has said, correct well made crimpers, a good sharp pair of side cutters and a good quality pair of wire strippers will make this job a pleasure to do, cheep ones will make it a chore. It is one place where the correct tools dictate the quality of the final outcome and good tools last for years, in the long run they will save you money.
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

ramon alban
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by ramon alban »

Hello Nimmo, This is how Rover wired the engine bay on their late Carb 3.5 SD1.

As a small clue what its about, you can see that the W/N starter wire at the top of the diagram re-appears at the multi-plug at bottom right labelled Starter Solenoid.

Now you can work out how the rest has to mate with your car electrics.

richardpope50
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by richardpope50 »

You don't say what you are wiring up. If you are joining up to an existing car loom then as above is a good start and advice. However if your are wiring up a complete car then I designed and wired up a complete set of looms for my kit car.

Whilst it took a long time I did not hurry and I made it take longer than it needed to as I was altering an EFI loom too and designing things for the future.

If this is what you want to do, I'm happy for you to have my loom details and will elaborate here on my approach if this is your plan. If not ...
Richard.
Dax Rush 5.0l TVR V8, EFI with Megasquirt ECU and wasted spark, Racelogic Traction Control and Quaife LSD ....... Now nut and bolt restoring a TR6

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

Good advice. Especially about taking your time. Draw out the circuit diagram on your computer or whatever first too. Much easier to alter that than the loom. And it's far easier to do the tricky stuff like fitting the connectors on the bench that scrabbling about under the bonnet.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

Return to “Electrical & Ignition Area”