Megasquirt Install Help

General Chat About Electrics, And Ignition Systems.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

cammmy
Getting There
Getting There

Megasquirt Install Help

Post by cammmy »

Hi Guys, this is not v8 related but there seems to be a big MS following on here, so thought I'd ask.

I'm putting an MS3/X in the Lotus. I've built and tested the ECU and it's now time to install. I've never done anything like this before, so was wondering if anyone who has would be willing to come and help install it in the car in the coming months? I'm in Rayleigh near Southend.

Cheers

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

First thing I'd do is draw out the schematic of your actual harness, as no two will be identical. Use the MS external wiring diagram as a basis - but draw in the actual wire colours you're using. This is the one I did for my original set-up

Take at least as much care making the loom as you did with the MS. Once the hardware is correct, the software side will be much easier.

Doing a full installation from scratch is going to take some time. I'd be surprised if you find anyone to hold your hand while you do it all. But plenty will help with any problems you find while doing it.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

cammmy
Getting There
Getting There

Post by cammmy »

Cheers, I've created the pin-out for the standard harness. I was going to cut the plugs off and solder to the MS piggies I've got (as I believe we discussed on the MS forum). I could also connect them directly to the MS plugs as you suggested but I don't have the tools to crimp them.

Not looking for someone to hold my hand the whole time. Maybe just if anyone was willing to help for an afternoon. Make sure that what I'm planning makes sense and that I'm connecting the right things to the right places. Once I've got a day in, I'd be more confident to continue on my own. It's just that I don't know anyone who's doing anything similar that I can go and learn from first, and would prefer not to wade in on my own.

I had to learn to solder to assemble the MS :lol:

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

Beauty of the MS connector (some might say the problem) is that it's an electronics industry standard, and available easily for pennies. In both crimp and solder versions. In this case, soldering is fine, as it has a decent cord grip to prevent any movement near the joints.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

cammmy
Getting There
Getting There

Post by cammmy »

Cool, I'll pop out the connectors that my kit came with and have a look.

Return to “Electrical & Ignition Area”