Auto Gear Selector and Cable + Other Auto Questions

General Chat About Drivetrain & Transmission.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

bigdawgv8
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Auto Gear Selector and Cable + Other Auto Questions

Post by bigdawgv8 »

Hi All,

I have a BW65 auto box and Rover v8 in a Morris Minor pick-up.

The gear selector is a 'Mr Gasket' item bought second/hand off another forum a few years back.
Does a anyone know if this will work with the box?

The selector cable is too short. Can I extend this myself or is it best to get one made by someone like Speedy Cables?

I haven't yet wired up the selector lights. Is it absolutely necessary to wire them up (I don't have a display panel either)?
I don't have an inhibitor switch either. Again, is it absolutely necessary? I'm guessing it's needed for safety when starting?

Anything else I've missed???

Comments, help and advice much appreciated.
Thanks in advance

Martin

Building 2 V8 Minors - double trouble!

harvey
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by harvey »

You can get most selectors to work by adjusting the lengths of the selector arms on the box, and on the bottom of the lever to the correct relative lengths. Time consuming though.

You could always use a rod linkage instead of the cable, but a cable is better.

I would Never use an auto with the "starter" part of the inhibitor disconnected.

As for the other stuff, you don't really need it all, but why would you want to do half a job, after all none of it is really difficult after you've got the engine and box in there in the first place.

bigdawgv8
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by bigdawgv8 »

Hi and thanks for the advice.

There is no inhibitor switch fitted to the gearbox and nowhere obvious to fit one.
As I understand it some cars had this switch fitted on the selector assembly?

Can anyone recommend somewhere I can get a selector light panel from or is it a Scrappy/Fleabay job?

I think I'll spend a bit longer studying the lever mechanism.......

Cheers

Martin

harvey
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by harvey »

Jags with the BW65 had the inhibitor switch on the gearlever rather than the box IIRC, but as all the casings are pretty much the same, including the little boss that the inhibitor switch retaining screw fits in, you should be able to fit one on to the box without too many problems.

bigdawgv8
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by bigdawgv8 »

Thanks Harvey,

Any idea where I can get an inhibitor switch from?

Also, there is a 'black box' on the side of the 'box that sits over the selector shaft with 4 spade terminals on it. 2 terminals are marked 'S' and 2 are marked 'R'.
What is it for and how should I wire it up?

Thanks for all the help.

Martin :D

harvey
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by harvey »

bigdawgv8 wrote:Thanks Harvey,

Also, there is a 'black box' on the side of the 'box that sits over the selector shaft with 4 spade terminals on it. 2 terminals are marked 'S' and 2 are marked 'R'.
What is it for and how should I wire it up?

Thanks for all the help.

Martin :D
That would be the Inhibitor Switch then.........At least if it works that's one less thing to buy.

The two terminals marked "S" are for the interruption of the starter circuit, and the two marked "R" are the switch for the reverse lights.

Return to “Drivetrain & Transmission Area”