Ford 9" here I come!!

General Chat About Drivetrain & Transmission.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

Alley Kat wrote:Would aftermarket shafts be needed on a 9" with up to 400 hp / lbs (rear wheels)? Thought even the 28 splines ones can take that, and can be shortened as they're not tapered? Or is that not right.
Im using 28spline Mosers.

If you seen my 28 spline standard 8.8" shafts, you wouldnt be concerned about breaking them. They are actually larger diameter than the Mosers.

Again, with hindsight, given my useage, I should have gone 31 spline. I might do yet though.
Just for peace of mind.

9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

ian.stewart
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor
Location: Far Far south, any further south and my feet are wet

Post by ian.stewart »

I was at Brunters last year whem Mick Rogers broke a 28 spline shaft, in a 9" case, just trying to do a burnout :shock: :shock: , and the shafts were Curries as well.
THE SMOKING GNU
12.604 with an old boiler of a RV8 and no gas
WHY are there so many IANS on this site???????

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

ian.stewart wrote:I was at Brunters last year whem Mick Rogers broke a 28 spline shaft, in a 9" case, just trying to do a burnout :shock: :shock: , and the shafts were Curries as well.
Whats he drive ?

As I say, with hindsight, I should be 31 spline....but I already had the diff bought, before I realise about the differences.

Though, at $500+£350 for shafts, it isnt a horrendous sum of cash to change.

Anyone want to buy my old 8.8" 28 spline torsen ? and shorter 28spline shafts ? lol
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile

ian.stewart
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by ian.stewart »

Mick drives the ratty black Mk3 cortina powered by a 2l cosworth turbo
THE SMOKING GNU

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

Yip, know it now...

What sort of 60fts does he manage ? Is he on 28 or 31 or more splines now ?
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile

ian.stewart
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by ian.stewart »

He was talking about 31s, dont know what he got in the end, I think the shaft must have been damaged prior to brunters as the surface is crap with little grip, just the ability to shred tires
THE SMOKING GNU

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

Hmm!
Good info here chaps. It turns out i may not have made myself clear to the guy I spoke to at Hausers. I spoke to Geoff today and the price will be more like £2k + vat for the job.
So now I'm going to look into the Scimitar option. I've just put the new bearings and seals on the new shafts, so at least I'll be ready to roll by the end of the month. I think I'll spend this months spare cash on getting the 4.6 installed and tuned so I can break some more.
I also see that Mark Lagrou at D&D fabs does a Ford 10 bolt axle ready to fit the MGB for about 1200 Dollars? Might be worth a look.

darren peart

Post by darren peart »

Have you considered using a jag irs lsd ,very cheap to buy ,i have been using one for 9 years and not had any problems whatsoever ,even doing 1.4 60ft times, you will also have better road holding with it been independent suspension.
Rover v8 powered manta 9.6 @ 141 mph

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

yeah the jag stuff is good, but quite heavy. I've also looked into it for my MGB and decided a live axel and 4-link kit would be the better way to go. The jag stuff is quite heavy and you have to faff around shortening things and making the cage fit round the tank etc. I know a guy who did a very sucessful Jag IRS-into-MGB and it looks awesome, but too much work IMO, well for me anyway!

My plan is to keep the SD1 axel I have, 4-link it with some Gaz coilovers and fit a modified Vitesse Watts linkage - bingo 6-link here we come. Well, not til the summer anyways . . Shouldn't work out too expensive.

Could do the same with a Scimitar axel actually - it would be cheaper as they already have the 4-link stuff as previously mentioned.

russell_ram
Getting There
Getting There

Post by russell_ram »

'as they already have the 4-link stuff as previously mentioned'

and a watts link mount on the diff cover.
Rover Powered to 11.63sec @ 128mph.

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

even better then! :wink:

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ian Anderson »

I never hear BMW axles mentioned - are they not up to much or just too pricy?

Ian
Owner of an "On the Road" GT40 Replica by DAX powered by 3.9Hotwre Efi, worked over by DJ Motors. EFi Working but still does some kangaroo at low revs (Damn the speed limits) In to paint shop 18/03/08.

JC.
Getting There
Getting There

Post by JC. »

If going IRS there is a better way for the MGB.

There is a kit on the market by John Hoyle which just bolts up to the original spring hangers and damper brackets.
Kit is £1500 and then you have about another £2k worth of ford bits to buy on top of that. However, you can obviously use the LSD from a granada.
Think they are rated up to 400hp?

This is the route I will take my B when funds allow. Although, IRS is perhapse not the best choice for drag racing...
Image -JC.

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

JC. wrote:If going IRS there is a better way for the MGB.

There is a kit on the market by John Hoyle which just bolts up to the original spring hangers and damper brackets.
Kit is £1500 and then you have about another £2k worth of ford bits to buy on top of that. However, you can obviously use the LSD from a granada.
Think they are rated up to 400hp?

This is the route I will take my B when funds allow. Although, IRS is perhapse not the best choice for drag racing...
Which Granada ? If Its a MK2, LSD's are like hens teeth. And whilst my setup survived a long time, I wouldnt say its safe for 400bhp. The diff is fine, driveshafts and CV joints arent.

An diff its MK3 Sierra style, its only a little stronger.

And both setups have very very crappy geometry.
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

I did see a nice Volvo live axle on a big estate in the scrappy recently. Although its a live axle, it was mounted on trailing arms with coil springs.
I think it was a 240 Estate car. Looked like it would be easy to fit, but not sure about its strength.

Return to “Drivetrain & Transmission Area”