Auto to manual conversion

General Chat About Drivetrain & Transmission.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Chris1976

Auto to manual conversion

Post by Chris1976 »

I’ve got a rover 3.5v8 with an automatic transmission in currently but looking to go manual, I’ve got the bell housing adapter and the lt77 box already, obviously I need clutch and pedal and cylinders, what has everyone used during their conversions? It’s in a Buick estate 3 on the tree currently

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Re: Auto to manual conversion

Post by ChrisJC »

Not sure what the question is?

Make sure you have a spigot bush for a manual in the end of your crankshaft. Otherwise the clutch will not work properly.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

Chris1976

Post by Chris1976 »

Sorry I missed some text out, wondering what aftermarket parts and pedal box etc people have used

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

Chris1976 wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 7:57 pm
Sorry I missed some text out, wondering what aftermarket parts and pedal box etc people have used
I'm sure most people use the manual factory version from a particular car.

If that's not available....bit more awkward.

You'd need to look at your existing pedal box, how it affixes etc etc t determine is there is something OE that you can adapt, unless you're talking a complete custom assembly.
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

unstable load
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by unstable load »

Your best option will be to hit the breakers yards and find a manual version of the car and strip out the require parts and fit them to yours.
If not, you are going to be minus your car for ages while you make up the necessary parts from bits and bobs cannibalised of random cars and bodged to fit, or made from scratch.

To give you an idea... I went auto to manual on my Rover P6 and as there were no scrap P6 RHD manual cars in Cape Town for me to strip, I used the flywheel and clutch off an SD1, the master and slave from the SD1 and the bellhousing of the original automatic Borg Warner Type 35 box modified to take the slave cylinder with an adapter plate to mate the LT77 to the BW35 bellhousing.
The clutch pedal came off a Left Hand Drive 2000 P6 and it was removed from the LHD pedal box and doctored with an oxy-acetylene to reconfigure it to Right Hand Drive shape with the master cylinder actuated via a self-made setup using the SD1 master cylinder mounted alongside the front of the engine....a real Heath Robinson affair, but it worked because the guy that made the parts for me had a training centre full of apprentices and a full machine shop to make the bits.
Cheers,
John

Return to “Drivetrain & Transmission Area”