Cable Identification- help!

General Chat About Drivetrain & Transmission.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

fairyglass

Cable Identification- help!

Post by fairyglass »

I've recently bought a hot rod, and like with most older vehicles I'm finding all sorts of hidden oddities. I've come across a cable that runs from the Rover automatic gearbox, and doesn't terminate anywhere! It's like an accelerator cable- the end not in the gearbox has a plastic adjuster and a soldered nipple on the end and I can pull it around 2" whereupon it springs back. What does it do? The car drives fine without it... Image attached. Thanks for your help.
Attachments
IMG_3509.jpg

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Re: Cable Identification- help!

Post by ChrisJC »

Rover never made an automatic transmission - you could have either a Borg Warner (BW35 or 65?), or maybe a GM180. I could be wrong about the GM box... They are 3 speed. As was the Chrysler Torqueflite which was fitted to Range Rovers early on. Or a ZF4HP22 which is 4 speed but if you have it in 2WD it is a mixture of parts as the Rover version was only 4x4 (apart from some very rare Sherpa Van installs).

But, your cable is probably a kickdown cable. Without it, the gears will always change up early, and if you boot the throttle, it won't kick down.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

ChrisJC wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 8:42 pm
But, your cable is probably a kickdown cable. Without it, the gears will always change up early, and if you boot the throttle, it won't kick down.

Chris.
Depending how much torque and driving style, not always a bad thing.

I utterly despised the kickdown on my old Volvo td auto. The engine was relatively torquey, except the kickdown destroyed that aspect by always kicking down and wanting to rev higher instead

I just left the cable very loose so that behaviour rarely happened. Drove far far better as a result.
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

fairyglass

Post by fairyglass »

Thanks Chris, Steve- I think it's a Borg Warner trans. I'll have a go at linking the cable to the pedal using some kind of plate system, with adjustment- I've only driven the car at low speed as it's not roadworthy at the moment, so I can't say if there's any effect on gearshift. I hope to have it on the road in a few weeks, so will know for sure then!

Return to “Drivetrain & Transmission Area”