LT 77 Gearbox removal problems

General Chat About Drivetrain & Transmission.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Biffdiff42

LT 77 Gearbox removal problems

Post by Biffdiff42 »

Hi - I am trying to remove the LT77 gear box from a Rover v8 SD1 motor which is in a TR7. I have followed the advice in the TR8 dealer manual and lowered the engine slightly etc and removed all the bolts, wiring and slave cylinder but no sign of the two coming apart despite some encouragement from a hammer via a piece of wood, waggling of the gear box, and trying to lever it. Are there any tips or advice on how to get them apart ?

Any advice is appreciated.

thanks

Jonathan

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Re: LT 77 Gearbox removal problems

Post by stevieturbo »

Dowels on a lot of boxes can sometimes be sticky.....but usually if it's that stuck....there's likely some bolts still fitted.

Can you get any gap at all ?

If you are 100% absolutely certain there are no fasteners still in, a good sharp wood chisel into the mating point to slowly wedge them apart may help.

Wood chisel is good because it has a nice shallow taper.
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

You do need to be sure that the engine and gearbox are independently supported. If one is effectively leaning on the other (think supporting engine at front and gearbox at back) then they will be hard to separate.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

unstable load
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by unstable load »

There are 2 bolts at the back of the engine on top that can be a right bugger to get at, you normally need to tilt the engine and box back and use all your extensions to get at it from the rear of the box.
https://robsport.co.uk/index.php?optio ... pathway=60 this shows a probable 8 bolts minimum that you need to remove, count your ones to see if you have them all.
Cheers,
John

Biffdiff42

Post by Biffdiff42 »

thanks for the advice and it just needed a bit more persuasion to shift it. I hooked a ratchet strap to the hole in the bell housing and the attached the other end to the back axle. Then tightened the strap until until it made a nice twang. The box still did not move so I then used the wood chisel approach to the join between the box and the engine and after a couple of taps the box came off nicely. I am now replacing the crank seal - see engine area post - but will need to replace the box soon. I am working under the car which is on axle stands with limited space and would welcome any advice on how to raise the box in to place using standard garage kit such as a trolley jack as it quite a heavy box to try and lift.

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

Height will help you to give you room to work.

Most people use very small jacks, very small axle stands etc etc....not always safest. Although the LT77 isn't the heaviest compared to some boxes.
I've a large high lift long reach jack, so can easily get up about 60-70cm no bother, and 6T axle stands to match. Smaller stands are just so flimsy, so low and have a small footprint I do not trust them when pushing and pulling under a car.

This jack can be quite handy. Not something you'll likely use often, but very good when you need it and are working off the ground. Likely get it cheaper elsewhere online. I've had one for many years

https://www.drapertools.com/product/530 ... ack-150kg/

Whilst you can use a regular jack, doing so will always be awkward. ( and I don't mean the crappy tiny jacks most use, I mean a proper large jack ) I would not even entertain using the sort of tiny crap you'd find at typical retail outlets
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

Return to “Drivetrain & Transmission Area”