Another LT77 query-but different.

General Chat About Drivetrain & Transmission.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Crockpot

Another LT77 query-but different.

Post by Crockpot »

The LT77 in my Humber Hawk is not well, it growls badly (is there good growling?) and gear changes are a bit random and notchy.

I have a spare box, C suffix and intend to attempt my own rebuild. I've done autos so fancy a go at this for a change.

As I understand it the main issues with the LT77 are oil and crap that the oil pump can shove through the bearings, causing a spiral of self destruction. Oil is easy to sort, I'll use Motul 300 as it was designed to use.

Now for the off the wall bit. Has any one ever considered, or done, a conversion to an external oil filter? I 've looked at the box and reckon it can be done.

Thought? Worth the effort, waste of time?

Ta very muchly.

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

Not sure an external filter would help that much. Any debris is likely to be just steel, so a decent magnet should catch it. Different in an engine with all the various by products of combustion.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

unstable load
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by unstable load »

I agree that a filter may not be essential, but consider the possibly of an external pump, run off the engine or the output shaft. The standard pump tends to get damaged easily due to having a fibre impeller. You can then fit an oil cooler if you desire.
I was going to go down that route before my LT77 input shaft bearing collapsed and I replaced the box with a Jag unit. I has the thought of using a power steering pump.
Cheers,
John

Crockpot

Post by Crockpot »

Thanks for the replies. Not sure about a external pump, seems a bit ott for a road car. I' going to have a think about a filter though.

Return to “Drivetrain & Transmission Area”