Clutch linkage part.

General Chat About Drivetrain & Transmission.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Devonrod
Getting There
Getting There

Clutch linkage part.

Post by Devonrod »

I noticed in the Rimmer catalogue that there is a part I have never had on my Rover clutch linkage !, its a nylon cap that fits over the pivot pin

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/ItemSearch- ... 1--srcin-1

Do you have one on yours ?

you can see where it goes in the link below

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID800030

v8250
Getting There
Getting There

Post by v8250 »

It depends which pivot point you're using, there's more than one size. I first tried using this nylon cover on the R380 with a re-enforced clutch release arm but it simply would not fit. The action/movement without it is correct and smooth. I asked Rimmers which models used the cap, they did not know. From other sources, some guys think it was for LR/RR LT77's only. Why it was not used on the R380 I don't know, similarly with the MG RV8's. To add confusion, I have two distinct different sizes of arm pivot. Used the standard RV8 on the R380 'box.

JP.
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by JP. »

Didn't have one on my LT77 and still haven't one as I converted to R380.
Didn't know about it...
Have no issues at all so I leave it as is.
'73 Ford Capri. 3.5 RV8, Magnacharger 110 Supercharger, Merlin F85 Heads, Water/Methanol Injected
'73 Ford F250, 6.7ltr V8
Building a GT40 mk2

sidecar
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by sidecar »

That's an interesting find! I have seen the ball end on the pivot dig its way through the lever, the cap would stop this. The reason that it does dig its way through is because of the blind hole drilled in the end of the ball. The hole maybe there to hold grease but the mega sharp edges to a good job of cutting through the lever. I no longer use this system but when I did I filled the hole with weld then used my bench grinder to smooth out the weld leaving a solid ball at the end.

According to JE the pivots can also bend, I was worried that welding the end might effect the steel but in the end I did it anyway. (The pivot never bent!)
Last edited by sidecar on Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SimpleSimon
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by SimpleSimon »

sidecar wrote:That's an interesting find! I have seen the ball end on the pivot dig its way through the lever, the cap would stop this. The reason that it does dig its way through is because of the blind hole drilled in the end of the ball. The hole maybe there to hold grease but the mega sharp edges to a good job of cutting through the lever. I no longer use this system put when I did I filled the hole with weld then used my bench grinder to smooth out the weld leaving a solid ball at the end.

According to JE the pivots can also bend, I was worried that welding the end might effect the steel but in the end I did it anyway. (The pivot never bent!)
:wink: A common failing on TVR RV8 models with their heavier clutches, most just replicate the after market modded one by welding a strap/brace on the other side of the pressed/formed dimple for the ball pivot thus adding strength :whs
TVR Chimaera RV8 Mods & Megasquirt

SuperV8
Guru
Guru

Post by SuperV8 »

I never had one on mine, infact there was no room, it was a good fit.
I noticed that the worn one I replaced actually had more wear on the ball end than the lever!

Tom.
Dax Rush 4.6 supercharged V8 MSII

Return to “Drivetrain & Transmission Area”