LT77 Gearbox Speedo Transducer - PINION SWAP

General Chat About Drivetrain & Transmission.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

ramon alban
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

LT77 Gearbox Speedo Transducer - PINION SWAP

Post by ramon alban »

Circa 2010 - 2012.

Does any one recall a V8 Forum Member posting about swapping pinions on the LT77 Speedo Transducer?

The gentleman concerned must have established a method of removing the pinion without damage and exchanging different color pinions to suit his need.

I think he also sold swapped Speedo Transducers on Ebay.

I tried a Forum SEARCH without any success!

Does any one remember the member concerned or know of the method he used to make the exchange.

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

If you need to adjust the output for a different reading, you can buy signal adjusters for that purpose

http://www.jaycar.co.uk/productView.asp ... rm=KEYWORD
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

stevieturbo wrote:If you need to adjust the output for a different reading, you can buy signal adjusters for that purpose

http://www.jaycar.co.uk/productView.asp ... rm=KEYWORD
Interesting - thy appear to have produced a new version. Cheaper than the old, too.

But the problem Ramon is asking about is failure of the drive unit, and not being able to obtain the exact replacement. If you fitted one with a different drive cog, you'd also have to change the one inside the box.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

ramon alban
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by ramon alban »

Thanks Stevie.

I can see that could be part of my solution.

Dave, you are right.

Currently I have an intermittent faulty unit in the car and several spares with the wrong gear wheel (pinion).

If I can swap my existing pinion on to one of my spare units, I can solve the problem.

If not I could try to fit a unit with the wrong pinion(s) and correct the signal with the Jaycar unit you suggest.

Ideally I would like to swap pinions and to do that I first want to contact the chap who knows how to do it.

Thanks all round.

Does anyone remember the member who posted about this?

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

The SD1 type as used on the GM auto is perhaps a better design. The actual electronics part unscrews from the gear part - and since it is usually the electronics which fail, a simple fix as the electronics are the same regardless of axle ratio.

If you can't change the gear on the sensor, I've no idea how difficult it would be to change to gear inside the box to use one you can get.
The Jaycar corrector does work though - MobyDick has one on the GWW. The latest version is hopefully less of a fiddle to set up.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

minorv8
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by minorv8 »

Ramon, if you are talking about the gear on the sender have a look at Autometer Speedo thread on this same forum. I took one sender apart just for fun and the gears are pretty easy to remove. I have posted some photos there.

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

Just to clarify, Ramon has a manual box with electronic speedo.

From what I've seen of this drive, the pinion should pull off the shaft. But is there the possibility that pushing it on to the new one might damage the internals, as there's nothing to take the thrust load?

I'm guessing that it is assembled to the shaft before the electronic end is fitted, and that is then crimped in place. But only guessing. And not sure if you can open up the crimp to remove the electronics, and replace.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

Return to “Drivetrain & Transmission Area”