Autometer speedo

General Chat About Drivetrain & Transmission.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Pitschi
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Pitschi »

That would be really great :D

minorv8
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by minorv8 »

I found the sender and here are some pics. Note that I already had gutted the plastic cover off since the wires were broken.

This is how it looks inside:

I tapped the red plastic gear off the sender. It is fitted to a splined sleeve that itself is fitted on the trigger shaft (with 8 spider legs). Here are the components removed from the body.

The final pic shows the shaft assembled. Note that the plastic gear and the splined sleeve are not pressed in completely. Aslo the spider legs are somewhat deformed, if you look at the 1st pic they are at 90 degree angle to the shaft.

The washer is a sort of bearing or shim between the body and the gear.

Now, there are several options. Use the body as a reference and have a new one machined with a matching threaded boss on the top. Modify or machine a new shaft for the square driveshaft that comes with the Autometer sender (alternatively find a manual speedo sender and use the shaft; assuming that the gear will have splines of the same size).

The plastic gear needs to match whatever drive gear you have in the box.

Hope this helps.

Pitschi
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Pitschi »

Thanks a lot for the pics and description. Will give it to mey buddy.

Cheers
Pitschi

minorv8
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by minorv8 »

I had also a manual speedo sender in my spare R380 box. I´ll upload some pics later today for reference.

minorv8
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by minorv8 »

Here are some pics showing the manual speedo gear:

I put a threaded section on the sender body to show you how the new/modified body would look like:

Obviously the threaded section is too long, it needs to match the Autometer sender.

Return to “Drivetrain & Transmission Area”