Scimitar and MGB 4HA axles

General Chat About Drivetrain & Transmission.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

sowen
Getting There
Getting There

Scimitar and MGB 4HA axles

Post by sowen »

Quick question, apart from the suspension mounts and widths, are the Scimitar and MGB Salisbury axles basically the same and interchangeable on the hubs/driveshafts?

I've got a 4HA from a Scimitar SE6A which is 56" wide flange to flange. I want to fit this axle under my SD1 which needs an axle 62" wide. What I'm thinking is getting a cheap/scrap MGB axle as they're easier to source than Scimitar axles, and lengthen one of the axle tubes to make up the 62" total width. Obviously this will offset the diff but that would be beneficial for clearance and making it a bolt-on conversion into my SD1 with what I have in mind.

Does anyone have a spare 4HA axle that would suit me? Am I barking up the wrong tree and should find something else to do? :lol:

1972 Rover 2000TC M16 turbo
1975 Land Rover OM606 diesel
1984 Rover SD1 3500 Megasquirt powered

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

If you extend the casing by 10" one side you will need the have a custom half shaft made wont you ?

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

Now looking for 8 seconds with a SBC engine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVscbPHgue0&list=UUqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg3avnsNKrc&index=2&list=FLqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

sowen
Getting There
Getting There

Post by sowen »

mgbv8 wrote:If you extend the casing by 10" one side you will need the have a custom half shaft made wont you ?
The idea would be 6" on one side to offset the diff by 3" but yes, the plan is a pair of custom shafts. What I'd like to do is build a working prototype, cut one of the tubes off the Scimitar axle, press a sleeve inside then press the MGB tube over the end, assuming they are the same basic tube size/design? I'd then cut'n'shut a shaft to make it a working prototype, so I'm 100% sure I've got the design right then can order a pair of custom shafts to suit.

Having spent a little time on ebay today I think I've answered my original question. The axle case tube ends look the same, but the drive flanges are different, the Scimitar drive flange being pressed onto a taper, and the MGB appears to be on a splined end. The wheel bearings are also different between the two. I still think it's a possible plan, so hunting out a suitable cheap and local axle to cut up!
1972 Rover 2000TC M16 turbo
1975 Land Rover OM606 diesel
1984 Rover SD1 3500 Megasquirt powered

Return to “Drivetrain & Transmission Area”