Joining SD1 LT77 to auto 3.9 RV8

General Chat About Drivetrain & Transmission.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

ratwing
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Joining SD1 LT77 to auto 3.9 RV8

Post by ratwing »

I'm still exploring options to replace a worn out '72 p6 V8 & 4 speed gearbox and am wondering if the complete flywheel/clutch/bellhousing/LT77 from an SD1 that I've been offered will fit a 3.9 auto engine from a Range Rover?

Its got a serpentine belt, efi and distributor if that helps but I'll using my carbs instead of the efi.
I know I'll have to alter the propshaft/gearlever/gearbox mounts/speedo drive/clutch release/carb needles etc but that won't be problem.
(Ideally I'd like a complete engine/gearbox unit like this one but its gone beyond my reach now)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121416504001? ... EBIDX%3AIT

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

The back of the block is the same across all rover V8's. As is the crankshaft.

The only thing to be aware of is that manual cars have a bronze (I think) spigot bush, whereas auto's either don't have it or have a steel one (I think they don't have one actually).

So you have to get that right, and everything else will bolt straight up.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

Denis247
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Denis247 »

If I recall, and it was a looong time ago, I had to replace the bush when going from an auto to a manual. It was still a bronze bush, but with a bigger hole. I can remember filling the hole with grease then pushing a drift into the hole, with the grease forcing the old bush out.
The new bush should be frozen before fitting, slips right in.

As I said, this was a lomg time ago when I first started playing with fitting one of these engines.
Lotus Elite 4.6 Spydersport 'Donington' conversion

mike-b
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mike-b »

Hi,
Chris is correct when he states an auto box does not use a spigot bush, my BW35 auto never had one on my 3.9. There is no need as a plate is used instead of the flywheel and the torque converter bolts to the plate. the plate has a ring gear for the starter and is bolted to the engine the same way as a flywheel.
They are used on the manual `boxes, the size is dependant on the manual gearbox you intend to fit, i.e. a T5 has a different inside diameter to a LT77 so be sure to get the correct one. The outside diameter is of course the same
If you are having to alter your propshaft ( most likely ) get it balanced as well.
Hope that helps, Mike.
Mike B Drives a 1984 Mk2 Granada ghia V8.

ratwing
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by ratwing »

Thanks guys, thats one less thing to worry about :D

harvey
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by harvey »

mike-b wrote:Hi,
Chris is correct when he states an auto box does not use a spigot bush, my BW35 auto never had one on my 3.9.
The BW35 & 65 both have a spigot bush. (Or should have).

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

According to the Rimmer site, there are two different bushes for the SD1 - manual and auto. And a third one for both manual and auto on a 4X4. :D
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

Denis247
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Denis247 »

Denis247 wrote:If I recall, and it was a looong time ago, I had to replace the bush when going from an auto to a manual. It was still a bronze bush, but with a bigger hole. I can remember filling the hole with grease then pushing a drift into the hole, with the grease forcing the old bush out.
The new bush should be frozen before fitting, slips right in.

As I said, this was a lomg time ago when I first started playing with fitting one of these engines.
I still have the phosphor-bronze bush I took out of an auto engine when I changed it for one with a smaller bore to fit an LT77. The auto engine defo had a bush.
Lotus Elite 4.6 Spydersport 'Donington' conversion

DEVONMAN
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by DEVONMAN »

If you are dumping an auto box in favour of a LT77 then remove everything to do with the torque converter mounting and fit a spigot bush in the hole in the end of the crank to suit the LT77 shaft (ie an SD1 type bush.)

The way the torque converter was mounted has changed over the years and some had a thin bronze bush and others just located straight into the hole in the crank.
1950 A40 Devon Hotrod with 5.0 twin turbo RV8.
EDIS8 wasted spark, Holley Injection.
Been as far as the Moon and back in 57 years of driving. Same Car, 5 engine upgrades !!!

Return to “Drivetrain & Transmission Area”