Can I modify LT77 gearlever?

General Chat About Drivetrain & Transmission.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

mickyf

Can I modify LT77 gearlever?

Post by mickyf »

Can anyone please advise if I can alter the LT77 gearlever?I would like to bend it at 90 degrees about an inch from the bottom of the sleeved area then another bend at 90 degrees back up effectively making it a few inches towards the front of the car so I can also move the handbrake forwards correspondingly(car is a '54 Wolseley 4/44 with SD1 engine and box).I'm a but worried about what the crimped on sleeve affair consists of.I tested for electrical continuity from the threaded end to the selector end and it seems open circuit?i.e they arent either one piece or joined together.I dont want to start slicing open the sleeve to find I've buggered the thing up!Would add a pic of the standard gearlever but cant figure out how(and I worked in IT!).
TIA
Mick

Denis247
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Denis247 »

I'm pretty sure it's a block of rubber, to supress vibration through the gearlever.
Lotus Elite 4.6 Spydersport 'Donington' conversion

sidecar
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by sidecar »

:whs

You can cut the thing to pieces and reweld it up to suit your needs if you are handy with a hacksaw and a welder. I did this on an LT77 that I used to run in a Cobra replica, basically I lost all of the rubber damper and had a 'normal' gear stick. (Having a bit of rubber damping on a Cobra is pretty pointless!)

mickyf

Post by mickyf »

Thanks for both replies.Yes I have all the gear thats not the problem.I was just trying to find out if the whole thing would just disintegrate if I cut the crimped tube part.The fact that the test meter didnt show continuity suggests that the upper and lower parts arent connected?

sidecar
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by sidecar »

mickyf wrote:Thanks for both replies.Yes I have all the gear thats not the problem.I was just trying to find out if the whole thing would just disintegrate if I cut the crimped tube part.The fact that the test meter didnt show continuity suggests that the upper and lower parts arent connected?
They are separated by the rubber, if you cut the larger tube open and remove the inner shaft you will be left with a 'stub' of a shaft which you can work with.

mickyf

Post by mickyf »

Cheers sidecar I'll give it a go.Don't suppose you recall how long the lower stub bit was do you?

mickyf

Post by mickyf »

Got it done today thanks for all help.
Mick

Return to “Drivetrain & Transmission Area”