SD1 LT77 gearlever removal?

General Chat About Drivetrain & Transmission.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

mickyf

SD1 LT77 gearlever removal?

Post by mickyf »

Hi all my car is a 1954 Wolseley 4/44 with SD1 V8 and five speed.Just starting on altering the biscuit tin covers that the modifier made up.I want to remove the gearlever to get it warmed up and bent to a different shape.I have removed the small bolt on the collar.There is a spring affair thats bolted to the extension does this have to come off?Should the gearlever simply pull upwards?Sorry if I sound a bit thick but I am LOL!Have a pic but cant see an option to post it?

scudderfish
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by scudderfish »

Here are some close up photos of mine

https://plus.google.com/photos/10754685 ... hJ-AjoStaA

Basically, you need to remove the bolt holding the cup down (beware the cup is spring loaded and small bits may go spoing), and loosen the large spring over the two arms coming out of the side. It should then lift out.

Regards,
Dave

ramon alban
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

xxxxxqs

Post by ramon alban »

Hello Mick,

Its a while since I worked on mine and my memory fails me.

However from this link on my web site there are two LT77 PDF Workshop Manuals for download.
http://www.vintagemodelairplane.com/pag ... box01.html

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: SD1 LT77 gearlever removal?

Post by DaveEFI »

mickyf wrote:Hi all my car is a 1954 Wolseley 4/44 with SD1 V8 and five speed.Just starting on altering the biscuit tin covers that the modifier made up.I want to remove the gearlever to get it warmed up and bent to a different shape.I have removed the small bolt on the collar.There is a spring affair thats bolted to the extension does this have to come off?Should the gearlever simply pull upwards?Sorry if I sound a bit thick but I am LOL!Have a pic but cant see an option to post it?
That sounds nice - my first car was a '54 Magnette ZA, but I never got further than fitting an MGB engine. :D
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

mickyf

Post by mickyf »

Both replies very much appreciated and the manuals will be a godsend.Have already removed the bolt holding the cup but no spring in it!No doubt there'll be a pic of the correct type of spring in the manuals.I have read that a Sherpa or LDV stick would be a better shape but theyre not easy to find.My car originally had 3 on the tree and an unbrella handbrake.The guy that stuck the Rover engine in has used a handbrake on the tunnel but thats easier to operate from the rear seat LOL! and when the gearlevers in 2nd or 4th and the handbrakes on they almost touch.I want to redo the handbrake compensator/fulcrum because it only pulls one brake at the moment(thought possibly from a triumph herald/gt6 maybe)and move the lever forward and bend the gearlever so its also moved forward.

mickyf

Post by mickyf »

Am I ok cutting the lower thicker part of the gearlever?What is the purpose of this larger diameter crimped pipe thingy?Its now dawned on me that the PO has reversed the lever in the socket so its cranked forwards, as the correct way round the knob end(excuse my french)would have been even further back.Ideally I would like to be able to bend the lever forwards at 90% as close to the bottom of it as possible then another 90% bend upwards effectively bringing the gearknob a few inches forward.I realise I may have to end up just sawing the whole thing off as close to the base as I can and weld on a new piece of round bar and thread the end.
Cheers
Mick

Return to “Drivetrain & Transmission Area”