Lt77 gearbox, Can i top up gearbox oil to the plug level ?

General Chat About Drivetrain & Transmission.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

martyn123
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Lt77 gearbox, Can i top up gearbox oil to the plug level ?

Post by martyn123 »

Hi,

Have a slight oil leak from the gearbox, my fault really as it was the only thing on my restoration i did not touch and assume as it was sitting around for a coule of years one of the seals is leaking.

It is only a very slight leak but want to top up the oil, my car is very low and difficult to get up high enough to get under it so want to top up the oil from inside the car, i have undone the top up plug from inside and have oil ready.

The manual states 2.7pts or 1.5lts quantity but i cannot quote reach the drain plug to compleletly refill and do not know how much is in already.

My question, is the refill plug placed at the level of 1.5ltrs meaning that i can refill via a plastic pipe until it starts overflowing or am i in danger of overfilling the gearbox and would this be a problem, thinking too much is better than too little ??

Advice appreciated please,

Regards,

Martyn....

Denis247
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Denis247 »

The top plug is the filler/ level. You top up until it overflows the hole. Can't go wrong
Lotus Elite 4.6 Spydersport 'Donington' conversion

martyn123
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by martyn123 »

Hi,

Thanks for prompt reply, i managed to get approx 1/4" of a litre of oil in so reassured now,

Regards,

Martyn.

Return to “Drivetrain & Transmission Area”