Is my gearbox mount bobbin broken?

General Chat About Drivetrain & Transmission.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

scudderfish
Site Admin
Site Admin

Is my gearbox mount bobbin broken?

Post by scudderfish »

My gear lever has a disconcerting waggle when I use the clutch and I suspect the mount on the left has ripped, but I'm not convinced that that isn't a mould line. It looks a bit different to the one on the right. Do you think it's gone? Getting it out is going to be a swine so I'd like to be sure before I start inventing new swear words.

Regards,
Dave

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

It does look like a mould line to me.

The one on the right looks more iffy ?

If they have become detached inside I think using a large screwdriver to gently push the rubbers form side to side may show up any defects ??

Perry

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

Now looking for 8 seconds with a SBC engine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVscbPHgue0&list=UUqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg3avnsNKrc&index=2&list=FLqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

scudderfish
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by scudderfish »

When I get back in the garage I'm going to put my bottle jack under the gearbox and (gently!) lift it a bit to see if the mounts stretch or are torn. I've already removed most of the exhaust so a few more bits to go before I finally get better access to the nuts.

Thanks,
Dave

scudderfish
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by scudderfish »

Well, neither of them are torn, but they are very soft and spongy. I very easily jacked the box up about 10-15mm and then had a poke. I could push my finger into them 3-4mm without excessive force, and they had a feeling more like closed cell foam than rubber. Time to hit ebay for a new pair.

Regards,
Dave

Return to “Drivetrain & Transmission Area”