Range Rover V8 into Granada Scorpio

General Chat About Drivetrain & Transmission.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

octanejunkie

Range Rover V8 into Granada Scorpio

Post by octanejunkie »

Hi Guys
New to forum, but not to V8's. Had a few yanks in the past.
Anyhoo, my latest project is to put a Range Rover 3.5 lump into a MK3 Granada. Got the torque converter, flywheel and plate. Hopefully a bellhousing is on its way and i'm on the lookout for a suitable Jag transmission. Does all this sound ok so far?
My question is about mounting this set up in the car. Has anyone done this? Engine mount pattern out there...?
Engine will be running on carbs, so wiring should be straight forward.
I know a few people have put this kind of thing in Sierras. Similar/Identical?
Any advice or precautions would be greatly helpful.
Granadas original engine and auto box will be coming out in the next couple of weeks once my back is better (Doh!).
My garage is slowly filling up with yummy V8 bits and it smells great! :lol:

It won't fit, its just too big!

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

You might find that the Range Rover engine ancillaries (in particular the water pump / fan / etc) are very high up. The SD1 setup is much lower. Worth waving a tape measure around first to make sure that the fan won't stick out of the bonnet!!

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

octanejunkie

Post by octanejunkie »

Yeah the viscous fan coupling is a bit of a monster! I was going to do away with that though, and have cooling done on electric fans. So not all Rover v8 ancilleries and front mounted items are the same then? What are the differences?
It won't fit, its just too big!

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

There's loads of variations, but assuming a fairly old 3.5 motor (i.e. pre distributorless version), but not as old as P5,P6 ones:
The blocks / heads are all the same. Different pistons give different compression ratios.

The big difference is the timing cover. The car version has everything low down, and the 4x4 version has everything high up. They are interchangeable, but you need all the ancillaries to go with it!

There's millions of variations of PAS pump, air-con, alternator as well. And the fan went through a few iterations!

I would try to find some pictures of an SD1 front end to compare with a Range Rover one.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

Return to “Drivetrain & Transmission Area”