R380 engaging 5th gear

General Chat About Drivetrain & Transmission.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

v8alex
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

R380 engaging 5th gear

Post by v8alex »

When selecting 5th gear on my R380, there is an audible click as the gearstick moves forward. The same click is heard not on leaving gear, but when the gearstick springs back to its natural position in the 3rd-4th gear line.

Moving it back and forth in and out of 5th gear but not allowing the gearstick to spring back to 3rd-4th line has no further clicking.

Note, I've not driven the car yet, so this is without using the clutch, just selecting gears.

Thoughts ?

Alex

adamnreeves
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by adamnreeves »

I have a new R380 box and I think it does the same so I do not think anything to worry about. It will also be a bit more mechanical if no oil is installed. What oil is installed or what do you plan to use?

v8alex
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by v8alex »

The box is filled with oil. I have used MTF94 that I obtained from my local LR dealer. Others mention Dexron 3. It's always a big debate as to which oil is the one to use!!

The thing with the click is that it isn't present when selecting any other gear. I can't rotate the output shaft by hand when in 5th, so at least it looks like a gear has been selected, which can only be good news.

Alex

adamnreeves
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by adamnreeves »

TBH, note sure if the oil would have reached all the appropriate places without the gearbox being driven by the engine. I did find mine loosened up a bit after playing with the gear selector for a while. I am assuming you greased the linkages in the remote gear selector. I am not familiar with this box but do find the fifth gear selection way across from 3rd, a bit like reverse, almost as if the intention was that fifth gear was used very occasionally!

I know what you mean about the oil debate. I think ATF is bad fix by Rover to make gear selection smoother at the expense of the longevity of the gearbox. MTF94 was specifically designed for the R380 so good choice. I have used Castrol SMX-S myself as it was recommended by a number of Westfield forum members who have used it anger.

Return to “Drivetrain & Transmission Area”