TH350 query

General Chat About Drivetrain & Transmission.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

TH350 query

Post by mgbv8 »

I've just put my engine and box back in. I did not separate them. I changed the rings and ends on the floor. I have a thick quilted pad to put under the box, and some blocks of wood to support the engine.
Basically, I had the whole lot on one side to do one bank, then rolled it over to do the other bank. The gearbox was supported along the side of the sump flange with wood and a thick layer of padding so the selector shaft did not touch the floor. I was worried about it being pushed in.
On the other side of the box I used thick padding as the is nothing sticking out apart from an oil temp probe.

So, I get it all back in, bolt the arm back to the selector shaft, push the slelctor arm to the park position and shifted the B&M to the park position. Then I found that the shift cable peg did not line up with the hole in the selector arm??

It was out by about 8mm. I checked the cable route all ok. I cant bolt the cable clamp the gearbox wrong because there is only one way it can fit. I left the shifter cable connected to its bracket and just took the bracket off, so no way it can go back on wrong.

So I adjusted the cable as per B&M instructions, filled the gearbox with oil and let the engine run for about 5 mins before attempting to select a gear.

The gears are alll where they should be?? But the cable is well off the previous setting where it worked fine??

Could having the box on its side affect something inside?

I'm absoloutely stumped on this one. I havent got the wheels back on yet so I havent driven it, but I have a feeling of impending doom.

Eliot
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by Eliot »

When its in park, the theaded pin (which has a split pin though it) should slide in and out of the lever easily.
Then ratchet it all the way down to "1" and repeat - should slide in and out. Now, go back to "d" and repeat.

If it always lines up with the detents then you should be good. Unless you really clouted it, a gentle push on the end of the shaft shouln't cause any problems. You could always drop the pan and take a look - but I wouldn't bother if the detents are aligning ok.
Eliot Mansfield
5.7 Dakar 4x4, 4.6 P38 & L322 TDV8
www.mez.co.uk / www.efilive.co.uk

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

Cheers Eliot
I've had it up and down the drive, and all the gears are where they should be. So I'm at loose end as to why it would do this? The shifter cable has been set to the longer setting for over a year now with no probs on the raod or the track.

I may take it to the Ace Cafe for a run out tomorrow night (classic car night). Thats a 130 mile round trip, so it will help to run in the new rings and ends, and let me know if the box is going to perform ok.

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

Well, she made it ok on the 120 mile round trip to the Ace. Kept the revs down to 3000 as I'm running the new rings and ends in, but the gearbox was spot on.

Paul B
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Paul B »

mgbv8 wrote:Well, she made it ok on the 120 mile round trip to the Ace. Kept the revs down to 3000 as I'm running the new rings and ends in, but the gearbox was spot on.
Are you positive that it lined up exactly before you had it apart? There is a certain amount of inaccuracy allowed before it doesn't shift properly and maybe it was actually a bit out all the time before but you only just noticed?

8mm is a lot though :(

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

Yes Paul
I did the usual checks to line up the end of the cable. Did 1st gear and park. And made sure the little dowel lined up with the hole in the arm at both ends of full travel. This was on the last time I fitted it. When I pulled the box out I put it in park, and dropped the cable complete with its mounting bracket so it should have been the same when I put it back on. The two big nuts holding the cable end were still tight as was the little nut at the end of the threaded rod that the little dowel fits onto.

I took it to North Weald today and did five runs without a hitch?? apart from the diff locker sticking off after the third run. Not a lot of grip on one rear wheel on that concrete.

So all seems good for now. Thank goodness.

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

Just an update. The cars done around 600 miles since the box went back in. No probs at all. I've even done to drag days and bagged two PB's. So I guess the box must be ok.

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

Now looking for 8 seconds with a SBC engine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVscbPHgue0&list=UUqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg3avnsNKrc&index=2&list=FLqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

Return to “Drivetrain & Transmission Area”