MG MIDGET REAR AXLE

General Chat About Drivetrain & Transmission.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

BUDGIE

MG MIDGET REAR AXLE

Post by BUDGIE »

HI , MY NAME IS MIKE & I AM NEW TO THE FORUM , I AM HOPING SOMEONE COULD SHINE SOME LIGHT ON A QUESTION :-

I AM USING A EARLY MG MIDGET REAR AXLE IN MY CAR WITH A STOCK 3.5 ROVER & AUTO BOX & WAS WONDERING IF THE AXLE WILL TAKE THE POWER FOR DAILY DRIVING ?? .

THANKS IN ADVANCE :) ..

ian.stewart
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor
Location: Far Far south, any further south and my feet are wet

Post by ian.stewart »

NO, they used to break with standard Morris Minors and a bit of spirited driving, you will need to look for something a bit stronger, Plan in advance, without a doubt you will think bigger and better later, so its worth building it to last, nothing more demoralising having to change bits because they break because you know you should have done it right first time
THE SMOKING GNU
12.604 with an old boiler of a RV8 and no gas
WHY are there so many IANS on this site???????

BUDGIE

MIDGET AXLE

Post by BUDGIE »

HI , THANKS FOR THE ADVISE , I KINDA SUSPECTED THAT ( ONLY GOING TO USE IT AS I HAD ONE LYING AROUND IN THE GARAGE ) , ITS FOR MY SIT UP & BEG POP , SO ON THE OUT LOOK FOR A NARROWED JAG IRS ANYONE ????? ..

THANKS MIKE :)....

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

Mike, please don't use CAPS LOCK it is immensely annoying!! :D

A narrowed Jag IRS is not cheap. A standard reconditioned Jag IRS is not cheap either.

You would be (in my opinion) better off keeping a solid rear axel and using something like a standard MGB axel, which are pretty cheap, can easy handle a stock RV8 3.5 and can be easily narrowed as required.

In fact the same would apply to a few solid fear axels, Rover SD1 are very good, and some of the bigger engined Capri axels. Scimitar axels come with 4-links as standard .... there are many options depending on budget.

What is the track width you require?
RIP MGB V8 .... served me well as a learning curve.

R32 Skyline V8 .... this one is gonna be a monster!

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi
What are you planning to do with the car? road use road and track? drag use only?
If you are planning track only I would go for a sherpa as they tend to be low ratio and strong, for the other two I would go for any of the others mentioned, though the IRS jag again is a bit overkill, but if you want IRS there is not much choice. Don't go for an 8.8" or 9" ford or a 10 or 12 bolt chevy they will eat too much power with small rover.
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ian Anderson »

How about BMW units?
Are they any good or just pricy like the rest of the car?

Ian
Owner of an "On the Road" GT40 Replica by DAX powered by 3.9Hotwre Efi, worked over by DJ Motors. EFi Working but still does some kangaroo at low revs (Damn the speed limits) In to paint shop 18/03/08.

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

Track would be too wide. Narrowing an IRS is a PITA compared to a solid axel.

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi
BMW diffs are strong and the cases likewise, the bits are expensive if you have to rebuild, but they last pretty well. However nearly all BMWs have some form of semi-trailing link set up with extra links to "compensate" for that style of rear suspensions inherintly "twitchy" nature on the limmit. Part of the apeal of the Jag is that the rear suspension basicallly comes as a unit on it's sub frame, the BMW does not have the arangment, the various components bolt on the rear chassis, you can't un-bolt it as one unit with the diff.
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

Mike / Budgie!!

If you are on a budget then an MgB rear end is a good starting point. Salisbury axle though, Not a Banjo axle.

The stock 1800 shafts are pretty darn strong unless you start hitting torque over 400ftlbs.

This is when mine started snapping.

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

Now looking for 8 seconds with a SBC engine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVscbPHgue0&list=UUqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg3avnsNKrc&index=2&list=FLqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi Perry
I was thinking of what your's and J's axels survive when I commented earlier. .
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

mgbv8 wrote:Mike / Budgie!!

If you are on a budget then an MgB rear end is a good starting point. Salisbury axle though, Not a Banjo axle.

The stock 1800 shafts are pretty darn strong unless you start hitting torque over 400ftlbs.

This is when mine started snapping.
I should mention that they only snapped due to the hard hit off the line when I drag race. If this is for a road car the shafts will probably last well as you wont get much traction :)

I still use the MGB rear end but with the sahfts copied by Moser. Same diff assembly though. Shaftys cost about £220 each all in. But you might get them cheaper as Moser now have the pattern from my R&D samples.

On the last big dyno pull it made 602 ft/lbs and the Moser shafts are fine ;)

Perry

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

Now looking for 8 seconds with a SBC engine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVscbPHgue0&list=UUqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg3avnsNKrc&index=2&list=FLqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

602lbs/ft?! Wow Perry that's VERY impressive!!!

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ian Anderson »

Whar about Mazda MX5?

Any good?

Ian
Owner of an "On the Road" GT40 Replica by DAX powered by 3.9Hotwre Efi, worked over by DJ Motors. EFi Working but still does some kangaroo at low revs (Damn the speed limits) In to paint shop 18/03/08.

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Ask Tom
Mike
poppet valves rule!

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

Ian Anderson wrote:Whar about Mazda MX5?

Any good?

Ian
MGB rear track = 49.25"

MX5 / Miata rear track = 56.2" so you need 3.5" each side ... what's the rear track on the Pop frame?

The MX5 rear ends are good, some have LSDs, but the big power MX5 boys tend to fit an RX7/8 diff etc.

And bear in mind you'd have different PCD/Stud pattern unless changing the front hubs as well. The MX5 front IRS fits quite well in MGBs though, plenty of yanks do it.

Return to “Drivetrain & Transmission Area”