2WD Manual R380 oil fill plug

General Chat About Drivetrain & Transmission.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

adamnreeves
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

2WD Manual R380 oil fill plug

Post by adamnreeves »

I cannot see the oil fill plug whilst gearbox is installed in the car. I can locate it by touch only. Can anyone tell me what I need to undo?

sidecar
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by sidecar »

On the LT77 box which is similar its on the opposite side to the drain plug, its a smaller bolt (maybe 17mm) higher up the casing.

Fill the box until the oil dribbles out of the filler hole. (about 1.6 litres) and put the right stuff in it or you'll end up with a lot of problems!

You can knock up a pressurized filler bottle using an old tyre valve and a push bike pump.

adamnreeves
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by adamnreeves »

Not sure its the same I did noticed a large grub bolt before I installed the box which is on the same side as the drain plug on the drivers' side. It was either an allen or TORX.
sidecar wrote:On the LT77 box which is similar its on the opposite side to the drain plug, its a smaller bolt (maybe 17mm) higher up the casing.

Fill the box until the oil dribbles out of the filler hole. (about 1.6 litres) and put the right stuff in it or you'll end up with a lot of problems!

You can knock up a pressurized filler bottle using an old tyre valve and a push bike pump.

sidecar
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by sidecar »

adamnreeves wrote:Not sure its the same I did noticed a large grub bolt before I installed the box which is on the same side as the drain plug on the drivers' side. It was either an allen or TORX.
sidecar wrote:On the LT77 box which is similar its on the opposite side to the drain plug, its a smaller bolt (maybe 17mm) higher up the casing.

In that case I don't know! I'm sure someone will be along shortly that can say for sure.

Regards,

Pete

sidecar
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by sidecar »

Just found this site:-

http://www.gomog.com/allmorgan/Plus8Gea ... hange.html

I think your right, its a torx bolt. It recons you need more oil than I thought, but I'm sure that I did not put 2.7 litres in mine. (maybe 2?)

Regards,

Pete

adamnreeves
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by adamnreeves »

Cheers Pete. This site says T55 TORX, thanks. It does say 2.7 litres but I thought the capacity was 1.7 also.
sidecar wrote:Just found this site:-

http://www.gomog.com/allmorgan/Plus8Gea ... hange.html

I think your right, its a torx bolt. It recons you need more oil than I thought, but I'm sure that I did not put 2.7 litres in mine. (maybe 2?)

Regards,

Pete

russell_ram
Getting There
Getting There

Post by russell_ram »

Morning Adam,

Definately T55 torx and capacity is 2.4Ltrs. I forgot to say - it'd probably be best if you fill it with oil before you fit to the car - sorry.

Do you want a copy of a 2WD R380 rebuild manual - I have the Daf one, the remote is different but otherwise a good reference document for what you have. I can't copy it untill I go back to work in a couple of weeks (foot still broken) but you're welcome to a photocopy then.

Russ
Rover Powered to 11.63sec @ 128mph.

adamnreeves
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by adamnreeves »

Just sent you an email actually Russ. But I was intending on filling before putting into the car. I got all the stuff I needed including the oil but then at the last moment I discovred that although I got the OEM oil; Unipart ATF for this box people say it leads to premature wear. So I decided not to put it in. Therefore I did not have the right oil in time!

Regarding the manual, yes please.
russell_ram wrote:Morning Adam,

Definately T55 torx and capacity is 2.4Ltrs. I forgot to say - it'd probably be best if you fill it with oil before you fit to the car - sorry.

Do you want a copy of a 2WD R380 rebuild manual - I have the Daf one, the remote is different but otherwise a good reference document for what you have. I can't copy it untill I go back to work in a couple of weeks (foot still broken) but you're welcome to a photocopy then.

Russ

russell_ram
Getting There
Getting There

Post by russell_ram »

You need to go to your local Land Rover dealer and get some MTF94 - it's a semi synth manual gear oil developed specialy for the R380.

Russ

adamnreeves
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by adamnreeves »

Cheers mate. I thought this box was 1.7litres capacity but I have read elsewhere that it is 2.7litre. Can you confirm?
russell_ram wrote:You need to go to your local Land Rover dealer and get some MTF94 - it's a semi synth manual gear oil developed specialy for the R380.

Russ

russell_ram
Getting There
Getting There

Post by russell_ram »

The manual says 2.4 litres - fill till it dribbles out the hole obviously.

Russ

adamnreeves
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by adamnreeves »

Yep will do, but just asking so I know how much to buy from my local LR dealer.
russell_ram wrote:The manual says 2.4 litres - fill till it dribbles out the hole obviously.

Russ

Geoff King

Post by Geoff King »

MTF94 is a Texaco product and is the standard lubricant for many MGRover vehicles including all manual MGF, ZS, ZT and all ZR (except the 1.4). Castrol SMX-S is actually better than MTF94 and is probably easier to get hold of – from Halfords for instance.

Geoff

adamnreeves
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by adamnreeves »

I have been reading about this over the last week and yes agreed. However I have been to 3 halfords and they do not have any, just an empty space on the shelf with a label saying "S-SMX"!

Geoff King wrote:MTF94 is a Texaco product and is the standard lubricant for many MGRover vehicles including all manual MGF, ZS, ZT and all ZR (except the 1.4). Castrol SMX-S is actually better than MTF94 and is probably easier to get hold of – from Halfords for instance.

Geoff

adamnreeves
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by adamnreeves »

Filled with oil the weekend and managed to get 2.35 litres in the box.

Return to “Drivetrain & Transmission Area”