Rover V8 - Clutch release arm

General Chat About Drivetrain & Transmission.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

adamnreeves
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Rover V8 - Clutch release arm

Post by adamnreeves »

Was hoping to get me engine installed today but I have just discovered whilst assembling the clutch release bearing and release arm that they do not want to play with each other.

the width of my release bearing carrier at the point where the slipper pads are installed is 1.650". The width of the release arm where the slipper pads are installed is 1.915". Doesn't seem to lign up from what I can tell either.

I have used a 2WD R380 box and bellhousing. The clutch release bearing is the new type as supplied by RPI.

So is the arm or the release bearing the wrong item? or do I just bend the forks of the arm until they meet the bearing?

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

Hmm don't know about that one, buts its got me worried! I think there may be different types of bearing carrier; the two I have are the same though I think (hope!).

Gah looks like I might be coming across the same problem in the future potentially. Probably best I keep all the stuff that's in the gearbox and see if that works, then try and make all the mail-order bits fit!

pitsnow
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by pitsnow »

Just on a side note, once you have the correct parts (sorry, I cant help you there) you may want to look into adding some strenght to the release arm by welding additional brackets across.
It would be bad if you would have to remove the engine - gearbox due to release are bending. This has happened before with uprated clutches and standard release arms.

adamnreeves
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by adamnreeves »

I ordered clutch fork LBU1234. I looked on Rimmers site and have gone through most of the variants and it would seem there are three in total:

SD1 LBU1234
TR8 LBU1234
RR 94- 576137
92-94 FTC2957
LR -93 576137
93- FTC2957

I am thinking it is 576137 but worse still this probably means all the other items are wrong. I do not have the luxury of having the old parts like you so could become long winded, costly and frustrating.
chodjinn wrote:Hmm don't know about that one, buts its got me worried! I think there may be different types of bearing carrier; the two I have are the same though I think (hope!).

Gah looks like I might be coming across the same problem in the future potentially. Probably best I keep all the stuff that's in the gearbox and see if that works, then try and make all the mail-order bits fit!

adamnreeves
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by adamnreeves »

Thanks for that tip Pits. I shall look into that one. I'd rather over engineer than have to take the engine out at a later date.

pitsnow wrote:Just on a side note, once you have the correct parts (sorry, I cant help you there) you may want to look into adding some strenght to the release arm by welding additional brackets across.
It would be bad if you would have to remove the engine - gearbox due to release are bending. This has happened before with uprated clutches and standard release arms.

russell_ram
Getting There
Getting There

Post by russell_ram »

Adam,

There are slight differences between the two types of release bearing as shown by the attached. They are interchangable though and both will work with your box. nb. the bearing on the iron one is a special I have fitted to the carrier to go with my twin plate unit - the original SD1 one is larger diameter.

SD1 bearing is rounded nose and works on a 'flat' fingered' clutch cover. Later covers have 'radiused/raised ends ' on the clutch fingers and so have a flat bearing.

The SD/TR81 arm should work with either bearing though. The Land Rover parts WON'T work in a 2WD application.

Is this any help?

HTH

Russ
Rover Powered to 11.63sec @ 128mph.

adamnreeves
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by adamnreeves »

Russ,

Thanks for the reply. I have not knowingly used any 4WD drive components. But I am thinking from what you have said that my release bearing is the item that is wrong. It has a AF width of 41.9mm.

This my clutch pressure plate

Release bearing

What do you think to my job on the bell housing:

adamnreeves
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by adamnreeves »

Now I am confused. I have just checked my purchase details for the release bearing:

TVR MG For 4&5 Speed 2WD Rover Transmissions LT77 R380

My clutch release arm is described as SD1 and is part number LBU1234 but on the side of the box is says equivlent to FTC810.

Here's a better picture of the problem:

jrv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by jrv8 »

Hi,
That is not an LBU 1234 clutch fork !!, it's a LR one.
Hope this helps .
Jim
www.jrv8.co.uk

adamnreeves
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by adamnreeves »

Arrghhh I ordered an LBU1234, that's what it says on my invoice and on the box that the part came in. That explains the confusion. Thanks for the clarification Jim.

jrv8 wrote:Hi,
Hope this helps .
Jim
www.jrv8.co.uk

adamnreeves
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by adamnreeves »

I spoke to Rimmers and apparently they have the LBU1234 has being superceded by FTC810. Some searches reveals that FTC810 is a landrover item as JRV8 pointed out. So beware.

The guy on the phone said he does not know what to send my now and will have to look into it.

adamnreeves wrote:Arrghhh I ordered an LBU1234, that's what it says on my invoice and on the box that the part came in. That explains the confusion. Thanks for the clarification Jim.

jrv8 wrote:Hi,
Hope this helps .
Jim
www.jrv8.co.uk

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

Result; looks like I have the earlier iron/rounded type of carrier/bearing, so that should work with my twin plate clutch I hope!

jrv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by jrv8 »

Hi Adam,
If you want to give me a call, I'll talk you through this. There's a lot more problems to come with this conversion.
Regards
Jim
www.jrv8.co.uk

adamnreeves
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by adamnreeves »

You saw Russell_ram's posting. He has a twin plate AP clutch affair and has modified the earlier release bearing to work with it.

Result, er, yes, unable to get my engine in the car over the long weekend! Hopefully I will have the part in time for this weekend then onto the next issue, will it be the pushrod too short, clips, slipper pads, pivot pin. Sorry feeling frustrated with this already!

chodjinn wrote:Result; looks like I have the earlier iron/rounded type of carrier/bearing, so that should work with my twin plate clutch I hope!

adamnreeves
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by adamnreeves »

Sorry Jim, only just seen your posting.
Conversion, No I am using standard clutch not twin plate one. A quick run donw of my parts:

Rover V8 4.6 Prefix 46D
Rover R380 2WD manual transmission
Standard 9.5" clutch and pressure plate
SD1/TR bellhousing
Clutch release bearing and carrier from RPi described as 2WD
LBU1234 release arm and slipper pads (okay waiting for this)
Clutch slave again as per SD1
Pushrod again SD1 item

Someone told me that I might have trouble with the primary motion shaft to crank spigot or housing clearance. I have took some relative measurements before assembly and calculated that I should have maximum of 4mm clearance here but by time all bolted together and measurement errors maybe 2-3mm.

If you foresee more problems! let me know and I shall give you a call.

jrv8 wrote:Hi Adam,
If you want to give me a call, I'll talk you through this. There's a lot more problems to come with this conversion.
Regards
Jim
www.jrv8.co.uk
Last edited by adamnreeves on Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Drivetrain & Transmission Area”