Rover V8 - Clutch release arm

General Chat About Drivetrain & Transmission.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

adamnreeves
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by adamnreeves »

Okay I am going to do some supplier bashing. You know that Rimmers sent me a 4WD clutch release arm. I sent it back on Tueday under their instructions and they promised that they would send the 2WD version that night and I should receive no later than Thursday.

Well guess what it's thursday post has arrived and it aint here!! Straight on the phone and had to go through it all again being told that the 4WD version they sent should fit!! No it does not!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

I made the point that I paid £13 initially to get this item quickly at the start of last week and I expect the replacment to arrive just as fast not standard post.

One of my previous orders was regarding bolts for engine mounts and they kept sending me the wrong ones time and time again, this took about 3 weeks to get right!

Does anyone else have this trouble with Rimmers or is it just me.

adamnreeves
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by adamnreeves »

Just spoke to Jim aka JRV8. Confirmed the dimensions of the possible problem areas and I seem to be have been lucky and it would seem all is in order, except of course for the incorrect release arm.

Thanks once again Jim for putting my mind at rest.

adamnreeves
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by adamnreeves »

I have this morning received my clutch release arm with a LBU1234 picking label which matches the SKU code on the side of the box. Looking good. Looked at the arm, yes very much different.

My next issue is I tried it against my release bearing and it is very very close but too tight, maybe about 1mm without the slipper pads on. So do I:

1. file down the release bearing carrier? (easiest)
2. file down the posts on the arm? (hardest but more exact)
3. bend the fork? (could be tricky!)
4. its supposed to be tight hit with a lump hammer!

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

The head says 2
The heart says 4
but I would go with 2 as I suspect you will be putting the whole lot under alot more strain with the new clutch.
Mike
poppet valves rule!

adamnreeves
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by adamnreeves »

I know what you saying! I am working from Home today and couldn't resist a little session in the garage over lunch. Actually the pins are not that hard only took a couple of minutes to file to fit. The slipper pads however where too tight to rotate by hand on the posts but only when push down to fit into the carrier, almost as if the pins are wider at the base. I took a round file to bore in the slipper pads and spent about 30 seconds on each. They now rotate freely with no lateral wobble if you know what I mean. All works wonderfully, I am now looking forward to the weekend!

kiwicar wrote:The head says 2
The heart says 4
but I would go with 2 as I suspect you will be putting the whole lot under alot more strain with the new clutch.
Mike

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Good luck, it is frustrating to be so close to a mile stone and not be able to reach it for the want of the right parts..... past that now... perfect weather for putting a very tidy engine in a Westfield if you ask me (or are you going to detling?)
Best regards :D
Mike
poppet valves rule!

adamnreeves
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by adamnreeves »

Detling is a bit far I would but I want to get my engine in and watch F1!

Westifleld are there and the club building a westfield over the 2 days! Oh, choices, choices. I have not been to Detling, is it good?

kiwicar wrote:Good luck, it is frustrating to be so close to a mile stone and not be able to reach it for the want of the right parts..... past that now... perfect weather for putting a very tidy engine in a Westfield if you ask me (or are you going to detling?)
Best regards :D
Mike

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

It used to be one of the better shows... gets the southern kit car makers that don't go to the midland shows. But the last two years they have all the shows have been a bit flat, few trade stands and not many people, I've not been for the last two years, I think I will wait 'till may and the Stonleigh show, if that is poor I'll probably give the rest a miss thiss year (Donnington last year there were so few trade stands I did not go into the show, just turned around and went home, saved my £10 the day was a waste of petrol)
If it were me I'd put the engine in the car and sit in the sun in the drivers seat going vroom vroom loudly. :lol:
Mike (poop poop)
poppet valves rule!

adamnreeves
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by adamnreeves »

Yep I think you right. but I don't have the seats in yet!
kiwicar wrote:It used to be one of the better shows... gets the southern kit car makers that don't go to the midland shows. But the last two years they have all the shows have been a bit flat, few trade stands and not many people, I've not been for the last two years, I think I will wait 'till may and the Stonleigh show, if that is poor I'll probably give the rest a miss thiss year (Donnington last year there were so few trade stands I did not go into the show, just turned around and went home, saved my £10 the day was a waste of petrol)
If it were me I'd put the engine in the car and sit in the sun in the drivers seat going vroom vroom loudly. :lol:
Mike (poop poop)

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

I don't have the seats in mine and my engine is just a collection of bits but I still can be found sat in it going vroom vroom, at times it is all that keeps me motivated.
Mike
poppet valves rule!

adamnreeves
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by adamnreeves »

What you building mate?
kiwicar wrote:I don't have the seats in mine and my engine is just a collection of bits but I still can be found sat in it going vroom vroom, at times it is all that keeps me motivated.
Mike

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi I'm building a Mclaren M1c from an Autotune kit (but with the chassis stiffened) for road use. A mix of ford and Jag suspension components and a chevy small block engine and an audi transaxel. Got to rolling chassis stage plus wiring loom, petrol tanks but still need breaks and wheels.
lots of work done lots to do :D. I want to get it finnished in the next couple of years :shock: as I want to do a Mk8f next. usual problem with me though not enough cash for my plans :rofl
Mike
poppet valves rule!

adamnreeves
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by adamnreeves »

Wow, serious stuff. Money, yes, we all struggle with that one. However I have also maintained that if I had enough money to buy everything I need all up front that not so much care and attention would be taken!

kiwicar wrote:Hi I'm building a Mclaren M1c from an Autotune kit (but with the chassis stiffened) for road use. A mix of ford and Jag suspension components and a chevy small block engine and an audi transaxel. Got to rolling chassis stage plus wiring loom, petrol tanks but still need breaks and wheels.
lots of work done lots to do :D. I want to get it finnished in the next couple of years :shock: as I want to do a Mk8f next. usual problem with me though not enough cash for my plans :rofl
Mike

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Yes true about the money up front thing, there are jobs I have done that I probably would not have done If I had money to get on with other things (re made the upper radius arms on the front suspension which I could have got by without doing). It would still be good to be able to go out big boys shopping at times though :D
Mike
poppet valves rule!

Return to “Drivetrain & Transmission Area”