Can anyone help ID this LDV Part Number on LT77?

General Chat About Drivetrain & Transmission.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

beniboyz
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Can anyone help ID this LDV Part Number on LT77?

Post by beniboyz »

Hi all,

My car is running a Rover V8 (4ltr) and I was told this box was a factory rebuilt LDV 400 series LT77, Part number FB5306 as stamped on the housing. It looks like it was an exchange unit as you can make out the original number of 28A*****D.

From the LDV part number and pictures, could anyone help me identify the ratios? Would this be a diesel box or a V8 one? The input shaft is much bigger than an SD1 box I have so I assume it will not need a spigot bush in the V8's crank but I've not measured it yet..

Thanks in advance!

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

FB5036 is not a proper part number, so that doesn't help much.

Maybe you just have to manually turn the input shaft and count the output shaft!

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

beniboyz
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by beniboyz »

ChrisJC wrote:FB5036 is not a proper part number, so that doesn't help much.

Maybe you just have to manually turn the input shaft and count the output shaft!

Chris.
I did do that, although it's the input shaft I'm wondering about as its thicker than the SD1 type I've got and what clutch plate that would match up to it, plus spigot bush for the V8.. Either way if its an LDV one then the ratios are gonna be wrong for a V8 (at least 1st and 2nd I would have thought?)

Ben

conrod
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by conrod »

ratios depend on whether it came out of a V8, or diesel. They are as follows:

Diesel
1st 3.985
2nd 2.519
3rd 1.507
4th 1.000
5th 0.931

V8
1st 3.321
2nd 2.131
3rd 1.396
4th 1.000
5th 0.770 (can also be 0.79)

Best you mark it up and manually count the turns and work out what you have.

LDV call it a R5-150 box, but it is basically an LT77. I can't tell you about the input shaft differences. Pretty sure the length is the same as an SD1 box, and I think the clutch plate I fitted last time was for a V8 Discovery, so nothing unusual about the spline. LDV should have a suffix "G" or "H" on the original part number, so if yours is a "D" suffix then I would guess it is possibly from an SD1 or something earlier than an LDV?

Return to “Drivetrain & Transmission Area”