4wd to rwd??

General Chat About Drivetrain & Transmission.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

marcjagman
Getting There
Getting There

4wd to rwd??

Post by marcjagman »

Okay, here goes. I have an LT77 rover box but no bellhousing and as I'm poor due to not being able to work I can't afford to buy one, here's the question..........can a range rover manual gearbox be converted to rwd using parts from both boxes, both being LT77? I have chance of one with a buggered transfer box for FREE. :?:

marcjagman
Getting There
Getting There

Post by marcjagman »

or maybe take the input shaft from the range rover gearbox and fit it to the car box?

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi welcome,
your best bet is to try and find a 2wd lt77 box from a layland daf van with a rover V8 in it, they are still quit common, and cheep as they have are about as uncool as you can get when advertising on ebay. Get the clutch release mechanism when you get the box it will save grief later. You should find one for about £20-£50 at a scrap yard maybe less, or stick a wanted advert on here and see what comes up sometimes someone will have one they are prepared to give away. The only issue with them is they tend to have a very low first gear, but use second to pull away and 1st to crawl along in traffic.
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

marcjagman
Getting There
Getting There

Post by marcjagman »

Thanks for the info, but it didn't really answer the question. I already have the 2 boxes and want to know if the bits can transfered from one to the other to make 1 good box that I can use. Nearest scrappy is miles away and I can't spend time away from the house as wife has MS and chair bound.

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

Yes, you can do that. But the Range Rover bellhousing is long compared to the car version, so you will need the input shaft too.

Then you'll end up with a very long 2WD 'box.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi
Sorry for not answering directly the question you asked, but I was trying to surggest a cheepest simplest soultion to the problem that would fit the car you seem to have. As Chris has pointed out it can be done to make a 2wd version of the 4wd box but you end up with a very long box as Chris says. You have a dutton, and I am pretty sure the gear stick will end up very far back in the car which means you will have to make up a remote linkage and you will end up with a very short prop shaft but yes it can be done.
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

SuperV8
Guru
Guru

Post by SuperV8 »

I have an 2wd LT77 complete with bellhousing and SD1 remote that's taking up space in the garrage. Was fitted in my Dax Rush, but now changed to a T5 when I went from 3.5 to 4.6.

Let me know if your interested.

Tom.
Dax Rush 4.6 supercharged V8 MSII

marcjagman
Getting There
Getting There

Post by marcjagman »

SuperV8 wrote:I have an 2wd LT77 complete with bellhousing and SD1 remote that's taking up space in the garrage. Was fitted in my Dax Rush, but now changed to a T5 when I went from 3.5 to 4.6.

Tom.
PM sent, hope you got it

marcjagman
Getting There
Getting There

Post by marcjagman »

SuperV8 wrote:I have an 2wd LT77 complete with bellhousing and SD1 remote that's taking up space in the garrage. Was fitted in my Dax Rush, but now changed to a T5 when I went from 3.5 to 4.6.

Tom.
I'm interested, just let me know how much.
Andy :D

Cavman
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Cavman »

This so similar to a question I also have that I'll just tag mine in here if marcjagman doesn't mind?!
There's a chance I'll soon be getting a 3.9 Rv8 from a Discovery with an R380 'box on. I was wondering if one could simply remove the transfer box, do a bit of jiggery pokery, fit an appropriate prop shaft and use it as RWD? Would this also be a lot longer than a 'regular' RWD version?

cheers chaps,

James
I wish I had a pound for every time some one told me "My Dad had one of those!"

'78 Cavalier Coupe GLS 2000

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi
The transfer box is effectivly the tail housing of the gearbox, so you have to come up with some sort of tailhousing to hold the necessary bearing and oil seals to take the slip yoak of the on the front of the drive shaft, again the andwer is that you need a 2WD box to rob bits from. . . or make up your own casting.
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

Cavman
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Cavman »

Hi Mike,
Thanks for the quick response. I've seen a few guys saying that the rear of the lt77 box casing can be swapped on is this true? Without one of each in front of me it's hard to compare and contrast. A scrapper lt77 can be had very cheaply, so combined with the free r380 I'll be getting seems like a way of getting a decent 'box for not many pennies.

James

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi James
I have no idea about interchangeability between LT77 and R380s but as both bolt onto the same transfer box then I would think a spot of investigation would be worth while. Especially if you can get the LT77 cheeply enough. I suspect you may need a tail shaft that can acommodate a slip yoak aswell. Didn't the R380 go into late model 2WD Sherpas aswell?? I am sure someone will be along to tell!!
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

gelmonkey
Sergeant Monkey Face

Post by gelmonkey »

James
I have a dummy lt77 here complete with the tail housing.
Dont know if this is any good to you.
Give me a shout if you want to talk about it ok.

cheers
P

Cavman
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Cavman »

Cheers guys,
Paul - if I do end up with this engine and box then I'd definitely be interested in what you have. I'll know by about this time next month whether it's going to end up in my possession or not so I'll let you know then if that's alright? , Thanks mate! will you be going to Billing this year or any other Vaux shows?

James

Return to “Drivetrain & Transmission Area”