Changing the ratio of a Ford 7.5" diff

General Chat About Drivetrain & Transmission.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

sidecar
Top Dog
Top Dog

Changing the ratio of a Ford 7.5" diff

Post by sidecar »

Hi There,

I read somewhere that its is possible to change the ratio of a Ford 7.5" LSD diff by changing the crown and pinnion gears.

Anyway I might be able to get hold of a set of new gears meant for a granny diff and I want to fit them into a Cosi 2WD diff, does anyone know whether this is possible?

I want to go from 3.64:1 to 3.36:1

Cheers!

Cobratone
Is a Spanner

Post by Cobratone »

Pete, have you tried posting on one of the dedicated "fast Ford" websites??

sidecar
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by sidecar »

Cobratone wrote:Pete, have you tried posting on one of the dedicated "fast Ford" websites??
Cheers Tone, I'll do that if I get no joy elsewhere!

Darkspeed
Guru
Guru

Post by Darkspeed »

If the 2WD is 7.5" I don't see that it would be a problem

I am running a 7" diff and just found a reasonably priced 3.38 for my car to replace the 3.93 that had been fitted.

Andrew
4.5L V8 Ginetta G27

richardpope50
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by richardpope50 »

I was told by Stuart at Classic Conversions that the key internals of a 7" and 7.5" diff are the same so no effective difference.

Richard.
(In case you do not know, CC is a well known in the se7en world small engineering company in / near Sheffield but I only have his old contact details and he does not have a web site! He makes all sorts of diff combinations.)

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

If the parts exist, no real reason why it shouldnt be possible. Although it would be handier to build an LSD into the casing with the 3.36 gears, than build a complete assembly from scratch. Setting pinion depth is critical, and a PITA. Lash is easier, but still a PITA.

Special tools are required for various parts.
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

sidecar
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by sidecar »

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll keep you posted.

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

richardpope50 wrote:I was told by Stuart at Classic Conversions that the key internals of a 7" and 7.5" diff are the same so no effective difference.

Richard.
(In case you do not know, CC is a well known in the se7en world small engineering company in / near Sheffield but I only have his old contact details and he does not have a web site! He makes all sorts of diff combinations.)
Im sure he knows more than me.

But when the dimension relates to the Crownwheel size...I really cannot see how a 7.5" diff unit would ever fit onto the smaller crownwheel, or fit into the smaller casing. The output shafts are larger too, with a larger spline.

I dont see how any if the internals are the same ?
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

SuperV8
Guru
Guru

Post by SuperV8 »

Just done the exact same thing.

I had a 7.5" granny cosworth 3.64:1 with LSD but wanted a lower ratio. Got hold of a 7.5" 3.36:1 open diff. I did plan on swapping the gears into my LSD case but was strongly advised against it. The gears and case need to stay together otherwise you will need to set the pinion height, which belive me you don't want to do.

Much easyer (and what I did) to fit your LSD into the case with the 3.36 gears. As it happens the 3.36:1 case I used had thicker/ more webbing so would be stronger than the cossy case.

Have a look at my pictures:
http://forum.daxsportingclub.com/phpBB3 ... =35&t=4305

Still a tough job. Lots of pulling and pressing of bearings (if you re-use your old bearings would be a lot easyer) Still need to make a couple of tools to hold the pinion nut and to undo the output bearing housings.

I have a manual. PM me if you need it.

Tom.

sidecar
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by sidecar »

SuperV8 wrote:Just done the exact same thing.

I had a 7.5" granny cosworth 3.64:1 with LSD but wanted a lower ratio. Got hold of a 7.5" 3.36:1 open diff. I did plan on swapping the gears into my LSD case but was strongly advised against it. The gears and case need to stay together otherwise you will need to set the pinion height, which belive me you don't want to do.

Much easyer (and what I did) to fit your LSD into the case with the 3.36 gears. As it happens the 3.36:1 case I used had thicker/ more webbing so would be stronger than the cossy case.

Have a look at my pictures:
http://forum.daxsportingclub.com/phpBB3 ... =35&t=4305

Still a tough job. Lots of pulling and pressing of bearings (if you re-use your old bearings would be a lot easyer) Still need to make a couple of tools to hold the pinion nut and to undo the output bearing housings.

I have a manual. PM me if you need it.

Tom.

Hi Tom,

Cheers for the advice,

I was planning to buy the gears off a bloke on ebay but he has not got back to me so I reckon the plan has gone down the pan! :(

I'll keep an eye open for an open 3.36 diff although they do seem to be very rare. If I get my hands on one I'll be back!

Pete

Return to “Drivetrain & Transmission Area”