V8 firing order/exhausts

General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Ralphh85
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

V8 firing order/exhausts

Post by Ralphh85 »

why does the rover V8 have a 18436572 order, as down 1 bank its the equivilant of a 1234 firing order and on the other bank its a 1324 (same as ford S4).

just seems very ilogical? but ig uess there must be a reason.

main reason for askign is im gonna be building an exhaust soon and need to know best way to link them.

the range rover links them different on each side, which it hink is best, tho expect a good exhaust would have much longer primarys as the 100mm ones are gonna do nothing good.

Ralph

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

You trying to sort out a pulse tuned exhaust for the RV8 Ralph?

I'm pretty sure you have to swap the middle two of each bank to get it right.

There will be others along soon to give you the full griff.

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

Now looking for 8 seconds with a SBC engine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVscbPHgue0&list=UUqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg3avnsNKrc&index=2&list=FLqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

Ralphh85
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ralphh85 »

yeah, i have a mate who did motorsport engineering, an he made up a spread sheet for the rover k series engine which was what i had before, which gave points of power for what ever primary/secondary lengths. and the opposite way round.

shouldnt be to hard to adapt it tot he V8, just need the cam duration.

the inside 2 will be swaped but only one one side.

Ralph

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

That's a big subject Ralph. Basically, the Rover V8 (along with most other V8's) has a dual plane crankshaft. This gives the best engine balance, but it means that each bank does NOT work like a four cylinder engine.
So on the odd bank, you get the following firing *--*-**- and on the even bank you get -**-*--*. You can see that you don't have exhaust pulses evenly spaced in time.

If you want exhaust pulses evenly spaced in time, you need the end two from one bank and the inner two from the other bank. This is very tricky unless you've got a GT40 where the exhausts are behind the engine rather than below.

Performance engines use a flat plane crankshaft which is the same as a four cylinder crank, so you get two four cylinder engines. The engine balance is as bad as a four cylinder, but you can do decent exhaust tuning. All high performance V8's are flat-plane. Of course a flat-plane engine sounds like a four cylinder, it doesn't have the nice burble of a dual plane V8.

See this
http://www.cowdery.org.uk/cranks.php for some animations.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

ian.stewart
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor
Location: Far Far south, any further south and my feet are wet

Post by ian.stewart »

I run a tri Y system, basically because of the lack of space, but it seems to work 1,5/8ths primaries about 200/220mm long, and are linked 1-5, 3-7, 2-6, 4-8,
THE SMOKING GNU
12.604 with an old boiler of a RV8 and no gas
WHY are there so many IANS on this site???????

Ralphh85
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ralphh85 »

thanks for the infot here, of course power is the main point of my convertion, but i would give up a 100bhp to keep the V8 burble!!!

will look in to it more tomoz.

cheers
Ralph

RoverP6B
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by RoverP6B »

The cylinders numbered from the front of the engine on the nearside are 1,3,5,7 and on the offside 2,4,6,8.

Using the Rover 180 degree dual plane low rise inlet manifold fitted with twin SU carburettors, the offside carburettor fuels cylinders 2, 3, 5 and 8. The near side SU fuels 1, 4, 6 and 7.

Ron.
4.6 Rover 3500 P6B

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

RoverP6B wrote:
Using the Rover 180 degree dual plane low rise inlet manifold fitted with twin SU carburettors, the offside carburettor fuels cylinders 2, 3, 5 and 8. The near side SU fuels 1, 4, 6 and 7.

Ron.
This means each carburettor sees four equally spaced induction cycles. Of course it's much easier to do this on the inlet side as it's all close together.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

Ralphh85
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ralphh85 »

ahh just looked at chris's linkt here, so thats why the V8 is suposed t be more balenced as you never have 2 pistons goign int he same direction, unlike the staight 4.

interesting. i like V8's even more now!

im guessing if you where to link the same pipes as what the carbs do that would help.

tho most of this is sayign i should just make up an exhaust and not worry about it!

Ralph

edit, does anyoen have any idea what kind of pipe diamitor is good for the V8, 1.5inch primarys/secondarys, 2inch thirds and maybe a 2.5inch pipe back to the silencer?? or is 2.5inch over the top?

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

Ralphh85 wrote:ahh just looked at chris's linkt here, so thats why the V8 is suposed t be more balenced as you never have 2 pistons goign int he same direction, unlike the staight 4.
Not quite.

You would think that a straight four is balanced because for each piston going up, there's another one going down. But the piston going up isn't going at the same speed as the piston going down, so there's a net imbalance. This isn't obvious, but if you draw out the crank, con-rods & pistons for two cylinders 180degrees apart (e.g. at 45deg ATDC), you can see that the crank angle is different for the two pistons.

For a V8, the maths is complicated (and beyond me) to show that you can get perfect (I think) balance. The problem is that you need huge counterweights on the crank to do it, and this fact (along with the near impossible exhaust tune) means that as a rule, V8's aren't high revving highly tuned motors.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

Ralphh85
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ralphh85 »

yea, they go different speeds due to the piston moving fastest while its at the top, as the conrod gets shorter (in height) as well as the crank moving down, if the conrod was only a tad longer than half the stroke it would hardly move lower 180degree's.

i dotn quite get whyt he V8 is any better but i guess it is! the longer the conrods the less this will be apparent i would think.

Ralph

TVRleigh
Getting There
Getting There

Post by TVRleigh »

Ralphh85 wrote:ahh just looked at chris's linkt here, so thats why the V8 is suposed t be more balenced as you never have 2 pistons goign int he same direction, unlike the staight 4.

interesting. i like V8's even more now!

im guessing if you where to link the same pipes as what the carbs do that would help.

tho most of this is sayign i should just make up an exhaust and not worry about it!

Ralph

edit, does anyoen have any idea what kind of pipe diamitor is good for the V8, 1.5inch primarys/secondarys, 2inch thirds and maybe a 2.5inch pipe back to the silencer?? or is 2.5inch over the top?
On the TVR's 400SE it 1&3/4" headers into a 2" that goes into a central box, and a 2.5" single out.
Current V8 car TVR 400SE 240 BHP
Current Project TVR Tasmin Race, with 3.9 running at 230 BHP
Currently building a 4.6 300 BHP Xbolted Engine for it. Solid Lifters and Group A rockers, Stange 4 heads, Pocketed piston, fully balanced.

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ian Anderson »

1.5 inch (The 1960's GT40s running 5l engines also ran 1.5 inch headers)
numbers 2 and 3 from each side crossed over to the other side and then into a 4 into 1 collector and 2.5 secondary wit a 1 in ch silencer on each side.

This then gives one pulse down each of th 2.5 inch secondaries in perfect timing

Loud and a great sound

Now this is possible on the rover and some TVR cars have had the cross over popes run forwards around the fan belt pullies!

This cross over system s said to give an extra 15 to 20 hp

I believe you are looking between 23 ans 27 inches on 1.5 inch promaries for best results depending on where you want the sweet point to be in the rev range.

Ian
Owner of an "On the Road" GT40 Replica by DAX powered by 3.9Hotwre Efi, worked over by DJ Motors. EFi Working but still does some kangaroo at low revs (Damn the speed limits) In to paint shop 18/03/08.

Ralphh85
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ralphh85 »

well due to easiness and room im goign to go with making something up which follows the current layout.

cheers for all the replyes an may put something more technical inplace at a later date.

Ralph

TVRleigh
Getting There
Getting There

Post by TVRleigh »

Ian Anderson wrote:1.5 inch (The 1960's GT40s running 5l engines also ran 1.5 inch headers)
numbers 2 and 3 from each side crossed over to the other side and then into a 4 into 1 collector and 2.5 secondary wit a 1 in ch silencer on each side.

This then gives one pulse down each of th 2.5 inch secondaries in perfect timing

Loud and a great sound

Now this is possible on the rover and some TVR cars have had the cross over popes run forwards around the fan belt pullies!

This cross over system s said to give an extra 15 to 20 hp

I believe you are looking between 23 ans 27 inches on 1.5 inch promaries for best results depending on where you want the sweet point to be in the rev range.

Ian
The TVR don't have cross over exhausts though they just bring the whole lot forward to a 6" dustbin.

I think the Tuscan Race cars had forward facing Exhausts with real cross over.

I've done a in between job, using the griff headers. due to limits of the engine bay size.

My custom install

and some Tuscan Race Car ones

Current V8 car TVR 400SE 240 BHP
Current Project TVR Tasmin Race, with 3.9 running at 230 BHP
Currently building a 4.6 300 BHP Xbolted Engine for it. Solid Lifters and Group A rockers, Stange 4 heads, Pocketed piston, fully balanced.

Return to “Engines Area”