General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Richard P6
Getting There
Getting There

RP4 vs Cyclone

Post by Richard P6 »

Hi all

I have a P6B with a few tuning goodies - http://www.v8forum.co.uk/forum/viewtopi ... ight=4000s

Although it's pretty quick, I don't think that it's ever fully reached its potential with the weber, and its often a bit fumey. So I bought this :-

and this :-

But before I start with all of that, a question about camshafts. There is an RP4 camshaft in there at present, which I have read is very suited to automatics, mine's a 5 speed manual. I have been looking at the Viper Cyclone which is very suited to 3.9s with EFI. Now my car is a 4L (same capacity as the 3.9) and will shortly have EFI, so as I'm going to be tearing the top end to pieces, is it worth fitting the Cyclone now? or am I wasting my time/money?

To complicate the issue, I have also read that the RP4 and the Cyclone are very similar so changing it may not make a lot of difference.

I am looking for a easy to drive car with plenty of 'pick up' when needed :twisted:

Any opinions on the cams?

I also bought this - but more of that later :)

Richard P6
Getting There
Getting There

Re: RP4 vs Cyclone

Post by Richard P6 »

Richard P6 wrote:There is an RP4 camshaft in there at present, which I have read is very suited to automatics, mine's a 5 speed manual. I have been looking at the Viper Cyclone which is very suited to 3.9s with EFI. Now my car is a 4L (same capacity as the 3.9) and will shortly have EFI, so as I'm going to be tearing the top end to pieces, is it worth fitting the Cyclone now? or am I wasting my time/money?

To complicate the issue, I have also read that the RP4 and the Cyclone are very similar so changing it may not make a lot of difference.

I am looking for a easy to drive car with plenty of 'pick up' when needed :twisted:

Any opinions on the cams?
I don't suppose anyone has any specs on these cams, like the timing angle for the RP4 as I may just check that bit before ripping it apart.

Richard

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

Is the RP4 from RPI ? If it is, you could call up Chris and ask him.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

Richard P6
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Richard P6 »

Hmmm... I'll put that idea on the back burner :? Cheers

Thanks anyway

Richard