Serpentine 3.9 Rover V8, convert to electric pump?

General Chat About Cooling & Overheating

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

ratwing
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Serpentine 3.9 Rover V8, convert to electric pump?

Post by ratwing »

Its the one with a distributor and a serpentine belt - the water pump spins the opposite way to the crank pulley so without the steering pump (don't need it) and alternator (won't fit there, have to move it) I can't figure out a way to run a serpentine belt so that it goes around the pullies enough.
I could fit a p6 or SD1 cover to get a pump I can drive from the crank with a standard fanbelt but then I'd get the old style oil pump too and I'm assuming the 3.9 is a better one? (plus theres the grief of changing covers/broken studs and so on)
Does it sound feasable idea to drive the water pump with a seperate belt from an electric motor? Has anyone else done this?
Any thoughts or ideas gratefully received :D

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

Is there an Electric Water Pump available for that timing cover? That would save a bunch of effort.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi
you can get kits for driving a chevy water pump with an electric motor and a toothed belt, like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Moroso-Electr ... 2c8924b0ec
best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

Eliot
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by Eliot »

Aren't they for drag race engine, i.e. short duty cycle.

O/P - why cant you add idler pulleys in place of the removed items to roughly maintain the belt path?
Eliot Mansfield
5.7 Dakar 4x4, 4.6 P38 & L322 TDV8
www.mez.co.uk / www.efilive.co.uk

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

It would probably be easier to fit a generic electric pump, rather than attempt to drive the original with a motor. An SD1 club member has done just this to his SD1 fitted with a 4.6 engine.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ian Anderson »

Owner of an "On the Road" GT40 Replica by DAX powered by 3.9Hotwre Efi, worked over by DJ Motors. EFi Working but still does some kangaroo at low revs (Damn the speed limits) In to paint shop 18/03/08.

richardpope50
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by richardpope50 »

Where is your alternator then?

I run my serp with just crank, water pump and alternator as per this difficult to see photo. Whilst I also have a small amount of belt (3 - 4 inches) on the water pump, it pumps fine.

If you're interested, I also have an idler wheel that I no longer use (as above is fine) that takes the place of the power steering pump. PM me if interested.

Richard.
Dax Rush 5.0l TVR V8, EFI with Megasquirt ECU and wasted spark, Racelogic Traction Control and Quaife LSD ....... Now nut and bolt restoring a TR6

ratwing
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by ratwing »

Thanks for the replies, I've seen the old post on electric pumps but thought it worth asking again since that was 4 years ago.
My alternator sits down low on the nearside, unfortunately there are frame tubes going through where the alternator and belt mount on the top offside (and more tubes through where the pump mounts on the top nearside).
I'm not sure if I could arrange idler wheels to get enough wrap on the pullies, I have to bear in mind that the engine is exposed and don't want belt slip when it gets wet.
I'm gradually coming round to thinking it might be easier to shell out for a Craig Daivies pump & controller because I can get one over here, anything from the USA is going to be pretty pricey with postage and customs duty.

Return to “Cooling Area”