Water Pump Question for Rover V8 Gurus out there!

General Chat About Cooling & Overheating

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Dirty Bus

Water Pump Question for Rover V8 Gurus out there!

Post by Dirty Bus »

Good Morning!

I'm really hoping some one can help me, as I'm finding it very difficult to gain information on this matter.

I have an '88 Land Rover 90 factory fitted with a 3.5, running SU Carbs. The vehicle has PAS and originally had Air con which was removed by the previous owner. Engine number is 25G01635A
Anyway, the water pump bearings are starting to get a bit noisy so I hope to replace it very soon. However this vehicle is my daily driver and any down time would be a bit of a nuisance so to combat any possible seized/broken/corroded bolts I wish to order replacement bolts along with the pump.

The problem is identifying which bolts I need! I have looked at parts diagrams but they make little sense and the last thing I want is to have replacement bolts but not the correct ones!
So I would be very grateful if anyone can provide me with part numbers or sizes of the bolts I need so I can be sure I have the correct replacement bolts?

Yes, I really am that stupid!

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ian Anderson »

I'd reuse the existing bolts

Make sure you mark them as I believe there are 3 different lenghts

And use Copper grease on the threads to make it possible to remove them if you ever need to replace the pump again

Ian
Owner of an "On the Road" GT40 Replica by DAX powered by 3.9Hotwre Efi, worked over by DJ Motors. EFi Working but still does some kangaroo at low revs (Damn the speed limits) In to paint shop 18/03/08.

Dirty Bus

Post by Dirty Bus »

Thanks for your reply. I would be happy to reuse the bolts, if they were in good condition but I have heard stories of bolts being badly corroded. Although the main reason I want to have replacements handy is if one or more of the existing bolts is seized and break upon removal, i have read that this also is a common occurance.

I nearly always use copperslip, great stuff - makes life a lot easier next time you want to undo any bolts/nuts!

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

You can get a kit of SS bolts from Ebay which has spares in all the alternate lengths. So should work for any engine.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

Ian Anderson wrote:I'd reuse the existing bolts

Make sure you mark them as I believe there are 3 different lenghts

And use Copper grease on the threads to make it possible to remove them if you ever need to replace the pump again

Ian
Far better to use the original stuff the factory used - Scotchclad 776. It not only prevents corrosion totally, but locks and seals the thread. Essential, IMHO, as some of these threads go into the water jacket.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

Dirty Bus

Post by Dirty Bus »

DaveEFI wrote:You can get a kit of SS bolts from Ebay which has spares in all the alternate lengths. So should work for any engine.
I've seen these, and they're probably my best option. However, are they any downsides to using stainless? I guess if one was to break (during removal at a later date) it would be more difficult to remove, but I guess stainless would be less likely to seize?

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

Dirty Bus wrote:
DaveEFI wrote:You can get a kit of SS bolts from Ebay which has spares in all the alternate lengths. So should work for any engine.
I've seen these, and they're probably my best option. However, are they any downsides to using stainless? I guess if one was to break (during removal at a later date) it would be more difficult to remove, but I guess stainless would be less likely to seize?
As I said if you use the correct thread sealer, they won't corrode, so will come out at any point in the future. That applies to both SS and steel.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

Dirty Bus

Post by Dirty Bus »

Thanks for that Dave, makes sense!

Return to “Cooling Area”