How much air gap for a header tank?

General Chat About Cooling & Overheating

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

SuperV8
Guru
Guru

How much air gap for a header tank?

Post by SuperV8 »

I have a 4.6 rover V8 with a 'custom' :shock: cooling system and header tank.

How full should I fill the header tank?

Obviously the level needs to be the higher than the highest part of my cooling system, but how much air gap would there need to be for coolant expansion?

Anyone know how much air gap in the header tank there would be in a rangerover header tank?

Tom.

Dax Rush 4.6 supercharged V8 MSII

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

A header tank usually has a pressure relief cap - so just fill it right up and let the pressure eject the excess and find its own level.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

Guessing, my P38 4.6 has about 2 inches air-gap.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ian Anderson »

GT40 looses about 4" with expansion

Ian
Owner of an "On the Road" GT40 Replica by DAX powered by 3.9Hotwre Efi, worked over by DJ Motors. EFi Working but still does some kangaroo at low revs (Damn the speed limits) In to paint shop 18/03/08.

SuperV8
Guru
Guru

Post by SuperV8 »

Thanks chaps, I think I can get away with 2" gap. If not i'll need to make a new larger header tank!

Doing some research I actually found a graph which shows the expansion of water over temp, I've worked out 6L of water would expand approx 0.5L at 95Degs. A 30mm gap in my header tank works out at 0.75ml so i'll see how that goes? Obviously pressure is involved also and maybe i've over simplified things (As is often the case :? )

Tom.

DEVONMAN
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by DEVONMAN »

SuperV8 wrote:Thanks chaps, I think I can get away with 2" gap. If not i'll need to make a new larger header tank!

Doing some research I actually found a graph which shows the expansion of water over temp, I've worked out 6L of water would expand approx 0.5L at 95Degs. A 30mm gap in my header tank works out at 0.75ml so i'll see how that goes? Obviously pressure is involved also and maybe i've over simplified things (As is often the case :? )

Tom.
Liquids don't compress measurably under pressure so pressure has no significant effect.

Regards Denis
1950 A40 Devon Hotrod with 5.0 twin turbo RV8.
EDIS8 wasted spark, Holley Injection.
Been as far as the Moon and back in 57 years of driving. Same Car, 5 engine upgrades !!!

Bryan
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Bryan »

Liquids don't compress measurably under pressure
Maybe not, but the air in the gap will compress as the water expands.

Without considering the thermal issues, compressing the air from .75L to .25 L (ie. 0.5L expansion of water) will give a system pressure of approx 30psi, which will probably cause the cap to vent. Obviously, this is for the 30mm gap - the pressure will be much lower for the 2" gap

DEVONMAN
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by DEVONMAN »

Bryan wrote:
Liquids don't compress measurably under pressure
Maybe not, but the air in the gap will compress as the water expands.

Without considering the thermal issues, compressing the air from .75L to .25 L (ie. 0.5L expansion of water) will give a system pressure of approx 30psi, which will probably cause the cap to vent. Obviously, this is for the 30mm gap - the pressure will be much lower for the 2" gap
I don't disagree with what you are saying, (Boyles Law etc) but, in this case it is surely irrelevant. The water will not compress and will expand and fill the space. If the space is not big enough it will flow out of the cap which is what SuperV8 is trying to avoided.
Regards Denis
Been as far as the Moon and back in 57 years of driving. Same Car, 5 engine upgrades !!!

unstable load
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by unstable load »

If the tank is filled prior to the first run, there will inevitably be some run out occurring from the expansion of the system under normal operating conditions. This will stabilise after a while and that level it settles at will become the engine's normal operating level for the header tank.

When the car has finished pushing the water out and is switched off, the natural cooling of the block and the rest of the components will reduce the pressure in the cooling system and air will flow back into the header tank through the radiator cap and it will stabilise around a particular level which will remain pretty constant for that car over time as long as the cooling system retains it's integrity.

The mark on your Ford/Vauxhall etc that shows how far to fill the header tank is a representation of the level for that particular system and is the end result of the path that SuperV8 is starting down now.
Cheers,
John

unstable load
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by unstable load »

If the tank is filled prior to the first run, there will inevitably be some run out occurring from the expansion of the system under normal operating conditions. This will stabilise after a while and that level it settles at will become the engine's normal operating level for the header tank.

When the car has finished pushing the water out and is switched off, the natural cooling of the block and the rest of the components will reduce the pressure in the cooling system and air will flow back into the header tank through the radiator cap and it will stabilise around a particular level which will remain pretty constant for that car over time as long as the cooling system retains it's integrity.

The mark on your Ford/Vauxhall etc that shows how far to fill the header tank is a representation of the level for that particular system and is the end result of the path that SuperV8 is starting down now.
Cheers,
John

unstable load
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by unstable load »

Cheers,
John

unstable load
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by unstable load »

Sorry about the multiple posts, I was getting a weird error message and kept retrying it...
Cheers,
John

SuperV8
Guru
Guru

Post by SuperV8 »

Thanks for the comments.

My cap is a plastic 'performance!' screw on type (yellow) I think with a higher relief value than the regular bayonet type pressed steel version. I wouldn't want to see 30psi so think i'll try and get more than 30mm gap in the tank. It will be dependant on the highest point in the system which is the top of my rad. I think I will fill it just as high as necessary just a little higher than the rad.

One more point i'm just musing about, if my car's on a level surface and the cooling system has been bled what happens if I drive up a steep hill? That would then make the rad the highest point, would that mean air could collect in the top of the rad or once it's bled would the air stay in the header tank?

Tom.

SuperV8
Guru
Guru

Post by SuperV8 »

I also got an error message! but turns out the message worked! Wierd

Ran into problems sending Mail. Response: 502 unimplemented (#5.5.1)

DEBUG MODE

Line : 126
File : smtp.php[/quote]

DEVONMAN
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by DEVONMAN »

One more point i'm just musing about, if my car's on a level surface and the cooling system has been bled what happens if I drive up a steep hill? That would then make the rad the highest point, would that mean air could collect in the top of the rad or once it's bled would the air stay in the header tank?

Tom.[/quote]

Tom,
With the system bled, once the engine is running the air in the header tank will stay at the top, provided there is some coolant in the tank, and the relative level of the rad is therefore not important, unless the system boils and bubbles are then trapped in the top of the rad. It is possible that some minor bubbles will be formed in the engine block as a result of local boiling at hot spots but these if trapped in the rad will get purged to the header tank at the next warm up session.

Regards Denis

Return to “Cooling Area”