General Chat About Cooling & Overheating

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

martyn123
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Cooling pipes help

Post by martyn123 »

Hi,

You guys recently hepled me out on a PCV querry and hoping you can solve this one as well, details being,

5.0V8 Rover, equipped with Edelbrock carb and manifold, Alloy radiator with no rad cap just a top inlet and bottom outlet, no heater in vehicle and about to order a header tank.

The manifold has a pipe at the rear

The manifold has a pipe outlet at the front near the thermostat

and in the same photo the water pump has a small tube vertical and what appears to be another tube horizontal pointing towards the manifold at the front, i assume this may go into the front of the manifold ?

What piping do i connect to the rear of the manifold
What piping do i connect to the front of the manifold
Is it simply the two water pump connections

Having looked at Header tanks, there are normally 3 connections, how do i plumb them into the system

Apologies for the many questions but first time on a V8 and on a steep learning curve,

Regards,

Martyn.
Last edited by martyn123 on Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

There's many variations!

The pipe at the rear of the manifold is the heater feed.
The pipe under the 'stat is the 'stat bypass which should run to the rear of the water pump.

Normally on the pump somewhere is another inlet which is the heater return. (small vertical one?)

Not sure about the other one by the 'stat - maybe should just be returned to the top of the rad to prevent airlock?

Header tanks vary as well. My P38 has two connections, a tiny one to the top of the rad, and a big one to the bottom hose.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

martyn123
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by martyn123 »

Hi,

Thanks for reply, just done a bit of photo browsing on the www and yes it seems the vertical pipe off the water pump goes into the rear of the manifold and the horizontal one on the rear of the water pump goes into the front of the manifold, note i have no heater on my car.

My only remaining questions are,

How do i plumb in a header tank, i have only a top and bottom hose feed on my radiator and a small bleed screw at the top, no radiator cap or other fittings on there. i assume i can fit a small pipe into the bleed screw but wondering how i can plumb into the large bottom pipe from the radiator to the water pump

Regards,

Martyn.

Return to “Cooling Area”