Rover V8 water pumps

General Chat About Cooling & Overheating

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

BrenG

Rover V8 water pumps

Post by BrenG »

I have recently sold an SD1 V8 water pump on ebay - it was the carb type, not EFi. I took it off my own vehicle which I decided to break.

The gentleman who purchased it has got in touch, stating that the pump does not fit his SD1 - he claims the stud patterns are different and does'nt have the second outlet branching off the main pipe. He thinks I may have listed it incorrectly - I know it's origin and it was fully fitted and plumbed in. I have since disposed of the timing cover and the buyer had no complaints.

I thought the stud patterns would be the same as the SD1 got it's own improved timing cover over the P6.

Any experts know the answer?

ged
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by ged »

Hi

Picture of a carb SD1 water pump for you to compare with the one you sold.

Regards Ged

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

without seeing what he has it is difficult to tell but he might not have an SD1 engine or front cover.

ged
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by ged »

katanaman wrote:without seeing what he has it is difficult to tell but he might not have an SD1 engine or front cover.
Exactly. But if the OP's pump is not the same as above then the sold not as advertised holds (if advertised as an SD1 carb water pump).

It may be that either one has had a front cover or even the whole engine changed at some time & not knowing the experience of either person with SD1's I thought the first thing should be to ascertain if the pump in question was the correct item ( it was mentioned "doesn't have the second outlet branching off the main pipe").

Regards Ged

DEVONMAN
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by DEVONMAN »

If the pump hasn't got the second outlet (Actually an inlet) then it's more likely to be a Range Rover pump and either the seller or the buyer unknowingly has a Range Rover cover on the engine.

Given that the buyer needs the second outlet I would wager that he has an SD1 timing cover.

Regards
Denis
1950 A40 Devon Hotrod with 5.0 twin turbo RV8.
EDIS8 wasted spark, Holley Injection.
Been as far as the Moon and back in 57 years of driving. Same Car, 5 engine upgrades !!!

ruffday

Post by ruffday »

There is more than 1 pump for the SD1 but im not sure what the differences are.

ged
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by ged »

ruffday wrote:There is more than 1 pump for the SD1 but im not sure what the differences are.
Hi ruffday,

P5,P6 & SD1 all used the same basic water pump casting shape. The differences being the pulleys, fans & viscous couplings but they are all adaptable to each other.

Hope this answers your question.

Regards Ged

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

ged wrote:
ruffday wrote:There is more than 1 pump for the SD1 but im not sure what the differences are.
Hi ruffday,

P5,P6 & SD1 all used the same basic water pump casting shape. The differences being the pulleys, fans & viscous couplings but they are all adaptable to each other.

Hope this answers your question.

Regards Ged

Wonder at what point re-conditioning becomes economic again?
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

Return to “Cooling Area”