Water pump differences.

General Chat About Cooling & Overheating

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Water pump differences.

Post by DaveEFI »

The pump on my SD1 EFI is leaking, and new ones cost an arm and a leg.
RR EFI ones from the same period are cheap. So what's the difference?

I have obtained a new one - but the supplier says they are no longer made. So it might be prudent to know which parts have to be changed to use an available one in the future.

Also, at one time they were a service exchange unit. All of mine have failed due to a leak, rather than bearings. Might it be possible to fit new seals?
I have at least three leaky ones lying around. ;-)

Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

SuperV8
Guru
Guru

Post by SuperV8 »

RR water pumps pre serp are larger/ heigher than the SD1 so you'd also need the appropriate front timing cover to fit.

Tom.
Dax Rush 4.6 supercharged V8 MSII

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

SuperV8 wrote:RR water pumps pre serp are larger/ heigher than the SD1 so you'd also need the appropriate front timing cover to fit.

Tom.
Indeed. 'Completely different' springs to mind....

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

ian.stewart
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor
Location: Far Far south, any further south and my feet are wet

Post by ian.stewart »

I think real steel sell new SDi style pumps quite reasonably priced,
THE SMOKING GNU
12.604 with an old boiler of a RV8 and no gas
WHY are there so many IANS on this site???????

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

ian.stewart wrote:I think real steel sell new SDi style pumps quite reasonably priced,
There are several different ones used on the SD1. I've got an EFI which seems to be the difficult one.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

SuperV8 wrote:RR water pumps pre serp are larger/ heigher than the SD1 so you'd also need the appropriate front timing cover to fit.

Tom.
I suspected something like that. Wonder if the different front cover could be used on an SD1? Just looking towards the future if they can't be got at any price.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

yes you can fit the RR front cover if it all fits bellow the bonnet line and behind the radiator. As said it all sits a lot higher which is why the saloons are the way they are. You would also have to fit all the pulleys and brackets from the RR as well and maybe the alternator.

I thought there were only 2 saloon pumps the P5-6 and SD1, I didnt know the EFI had a different pump. Maybe the none EFI pump can be fitted with little hassle?

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ian Anderson »

And I can throw in another
I have a 3.9 Hotwire 1990 unot and it runs a P6 Waterpump

Try E bay
http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trks ... Categories

Check if they look like your existing one

Ian
Owner of an "On the Road" GT40 Replica by DAX powered by 3.9Hotwre Efi, worked over by DJ Motors. EFi Working but still does some kangaroo at low revs (Damn the speed limits) In to paint shop 18/03/08.

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

katanaman wrote:yes you can fit the RR front cover if it all fits bellow the bonnet line and behind the radiator. As said it all sits a lot higher which is why the saloons are the way they are. You would also have to fit all the pulleys and brackets from the RR as well and maybe the alternator.

I thought there were only 2 saloon pumps the P5-6 and SD1, I didnt know the EFI had a different pump. Maybe the none EFI pump can be fitted with little hassle?
The EFI has a temperature sensitive viscous coupling - the type with the left hand thread. Most later V8s used the same idea. I'm not sure if the front cover of the engine is the same, though, on all SD1s.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

ah ok well sounds like a normal sd1 pump and an electric fan might do the job assuming the cover is the same. A quick pic would show whether it is or not.

ged
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by ged »

P5,P6 & SD1 all used the same basic water pump casting shape. The differences being the pulleys, fans & viscous couplings but they are all adaptable to each other.

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

You might be able to press the boss off the shaft. I certainly moved one along a bit to convert a Range Rover pump to an LDV pump.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

ChrisJC wrote:You might be able to press the boss off the shaft. I certainly moved one along a bit to convert a Range Rover pump to an LDV pump.

Chris.
That's interesting - wonder if it's possible to fit new seals? If you can get them. I have several which are sound, but leaking.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

SuperV8
Guru
Guru

Post by SuperV8 »

Regarding the height I used the RR water pump on my Dax Rush (even though most people were struggling to source SD1 front covers/pumps) with no problems and I had to cut a hole for the plenum to poke through so i'd have thought the SD1 would have a higher bonnet line as the plenum fits under the bonnet!

Tom.
Dax Rush 4.6 supercharged V8 MSII

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

SuperV8 wrote:Regarding the height I used the RR water pump on my Dax Rush (even though most people were struggling to source SD1 front covers/pumps) with no problems and I had to cut a hole for the plenum to poke through so i'd have thought the SD1 would have a higher bonnet line as the plenum fits under the bonnet!

Tom.
I suspect it's more to do with where the fan sits than bonnet clearance. The rad / fan in an SD1 is much lower than in a Range Rover.

Interestingly however, the GEMS timing cover puts the fan much lower than in a Range Rover classic......

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

Return to “Cooling Area”