Cooling question on my off the wall build....

General Chat About Cooling & Overheating

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Gibson

Cooling question on my off the wall build....

Post by Gibson »

Some of you might have seen i am putting a tvr 430 engine in a Bmw e36. The bmw v8 has just proved impossible for most people to fit so i have decided to go a different route with mine.
The exhaust manifolds on the TVR lump nicely solve the problem of steering column clearance on the bmw but do mean there is no space for the radiator in the engine bay so its going in the boot with lots of ducting.
the questions i have are
Will the water pump be man enough to pump water over a longer distance?
and what size are the radiator/water pump mountings for the top and bottom hoses on the TVR (rover) block so i can start building up my coolant lines.
Also if i the pump isnt up to the job where can i get an electric pump to suplement the normal one?

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi
firstly I recon you will need a an electric helper pump, davies craig do them http://www.daviescraig.com.au/Electric_ ... -list.aspx
I think you will need the 115 L/Min one at least, Kevin the mole had an inline pump for sale on here a while ago, I don't know if he sold it but it might be worth a PM, it was bigger than the Davies craig.
I presume you running the plumbing under the car, if so run it in ally tubing as this will help cool things and stop you cooking inside the car :lol: . I've run 1.5 OD 16g wall thickness for a 6.3 chevy in the back of a car with the rad in the front. as for radiator size, find something from a car of a similar output to the engine you have, say an audi 5 cylinder with a turbo, which is nice and compact, or RR really anything that will package easily, but get an ally cored version, it will save quite a bit of weight which I think will be important. you will need a big electric fan that covers the whole matrix and some good ducting.
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

Gibson

Post by Gibson »

I have a truly enormous generic aluminium radiator already with twin 14 inch fans sat on it which are gonna be plenty i think
Cheers man sounds like a good plan.... best start looking for a pump!

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

in that case you may need a blower on it to get the rad up to temperature :twisted: :lol: :lol: :twisted:
Mike
poppet valves rule!

Eliot
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by Eliot »

Any chance of loosing the huge signature gif?
Eliot Mansfield
5.7 Dakar 4x4, 4.6 P38 & L322 TDV8
www.mez.co.uk / www.efilive.co.uk

beth

Post by beth »

I used to have an ex-military lightweight with the P6 v8 and put a v8 90 radiator in the tailgate. Cooling was fine without an additional pump, but I did have two of the largest kenlow fans I could fit on it. As long as I was moving pretty well the fans stayed off, but low speed with the strange airflow over the cab/cage, or stuck in mud the fans were really needed. Plumbing was simple large, maybe 1.5 - 1.75in bore rubber tubing.

The main problem I found was the carbs freezing in cool and moist conditions as the engine bay just didn't get enough heat.

Gibson

Post by Gibson »

Ok cool well im running 14cux hotwire so shouldny be able to freeze the carbs as i dont have any lol.
I think i will run a supplemental pump anyway as its a drift car and spends alot of its life at high revs but not going in a straight line fast....
Oh and i already have two enormous kenlowes on it

Return to “Cooling Area”