another 4.6 overheating please help!

General Chat About Cooling & Overheating

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

bullyboy

another 4.6 overheating please help!

Post by bullyboy »

Hi

I have just rebuilt a 4.6 rv8, running on webber 500 carb,sd1 front end, twin 11 inch fans, large radiator.87 degrees stat.
I know air locks are a common problem and have read lots about this.
My system is pressuring on the top hose, when the engine is hot the top hose is solid, when i take of cap on expansion alot of fluid spills out when hot.
After this the pressure has dropped in the top hose but the hose feels like it has no water in.
Could this be a an air lock?
I have no bubbles appearing in my expansion tank.
The stat opens and the radiator gets hot and both fans fire up.
I know this is a common problem but if you have any suggestions i will be most grateful.

Regards

Chris

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: another 4.6 overheating please help!

Post by DaveEFI »

bullyboy wrote:Hi

I have just rebuilt a 4.6 rv8, running on webber 500 carb,sd1 front end, twin 11 inch fans, large radiator.87 degrees stat.
I know air locks are a common problem and have read lots about this.
My system is pressuring on the top hose, when the engine is hot the top hose is solid, when i take of cap on expansion alot of fluid spills out when hot.
After this the pressure has dropped in the top hose but the hose feels like it has no water in.
Could this be a an air lock?
I have no bubbles appearing in my expansion tank.
The stat opens and the radiator gets hot and both fans fire up.
I know this is a common problem but if you have any suggestions i will be most grateful.

Regards

Chris
What you describe is perfectly normal for any pressurized system. If you remove the filler cap on any when it's hot, coolant will gush out.

The reason to pressurize is to raise the boiling point of the coolant. Release that pressure with the engine hot, and the coolant will boil, as parts of the engine will be above 100C.

Are the twin fans you're using SD1 ones? If so, they are aux ones for the air-con - the main cooling is done by the viscous coupled one. I'd say they'd be marginal without AC used as main fans on a hot day when stationary.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

mgbloke
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbloke »

I also have a 4.6 with SD1 cover, 500 webber but single 16" electric fan.
For the system to work properly the take off to the expansion tank should be at the highest point in your cooling system with the expansion tank as high as possible.
To purge the system remove the rad cap (when cold) and with water in the expansion tank, squeeze the top hose as much as possible. this will push any air out into the tank then when you let go water will be drawn back in. Keep doing this until no more air comes out. Do this periodically when cold to see if you have air in the system.
I had a lot of problems with air locks until I raised my expansion tank and re located the take off to the highest point.

Also Keep an eye on the level in the expansion tank( I have a see through one), when hot the level should be about 2 to 3 inches higher than cold. If its more than this then you probably have trapped air in the system.

Hope this helps
Mark

Return to “Cooling Area”