Coolant ratio's etc

General Chat About Cooling & Overheating

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

topcatcustom
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Coolant ratio's etc

Post by topcatcustom »

How much antifreeze should you use in warm weather, obviously you dont need the freeze protection but I'm guessing it helps the heat transfer into the water. It cant be better at transferring heat than water as if it was then people would use 100% antifreeze, so what is best (ignoring winter standing etc)???

Also I have a drum of de-ionised water, might see if that makes any difference too.

Would like to know what to try for the run to the Pod tomorrow as it only just stays cool enough as it is (when very hot weather and stop-starting admittedly)

TC

JSF55
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Not my reply

Post by JSF55 »

I asked once on the anglia hot rod group and kept this reply from carlos

John,
Something you may want to try would be to run propylene glycol straight, with no water. I have not tried yet, bu will this summer, here is why. A 50:50 mixture of ethylene glycol/water is good ~223 F @ atmospheric. Ethylene glycol by itself is not as good a BTU conductant. Water is the best for heat absorption below its boiling point. Ehtylene glycol by itself is good for ~355_365 F @ atmospheric. Apparently studies have shown that even under 15# pressure there is a problem in heat transfer when water (even in solution) is in the system. In the areas like around the cylinders, and specially the heads there forms a small vapor, and bubbles area as watter is boiling in small areas. A high pressure cap helps to control but does not stop it. This happens even in high pressure boilers. Now the temperature we read is a combination at a later point in the flow of water through the engine. This bubble and water vapor pocket formation hinders the heat transfer capability, and thats where pure propelene glycol becomes superiror. Your liquid temperature most probably will show a higher temp, but you will not have boil over, and the heat transfer will actually be higher, as the coolant will be transfering BTU's much more efficiently. People that use it can actually go down in radiator size which with Anglias would be a plus. You can go to no pressure, or even a low 3-4# pressure cap and have a safer system. Propylene Glycol is also not a poison like Ethylene glycol is, and if it spills on the ground is biodiagradeable.
Like I said I have not tried yet, but have done my due diligence and will be installing it in my tow vehicle and our transportation cars.
The idea of Watter Wetter is that it act as penetrant, and thats one of the charecteristics of how detergents clean they have surfactants. Surfactants allow water to penetrate, allowing dirt to be lifted and washed away. Detergent and watter wetter will share some of the same characteristics, but detergents very often will also have emusifiers which will promote foaming to keep dirt suspended, this is not good for a coolant application. If you use detergent try to get a low foaming detergent and dont use to much. Propylene glycol will do similar because by not boiling it will adhere to the surfaces much better than water that is boiling and bubbling causing vapor and pocket formation. Another benefit is that with no water in the solution, if the propylene glycol is formulated as antifreeze/coolant for vehicles the additive package to keep the coolant from going corrosive will last much longer.
Distilled watter initially appears superior because by being distilled should be free of solids, and minerals which inhibit BTU transfer. However the downside here is that distilled watter will become acidic more readily without base additives, and promote corrosion which ends up nullifying distilled watters intial advantage of no solid/mineral contamination.
Can you guys in the UK get propylene based antifreeze/coolant readily?

Carlos
So thats where it went !

topcatcustom
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by topcatcustom »

Interesting cheers, not sure I'm willing to take the plunge on the long trip to the Pod with 100% af yet!
TC

bobtail84
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by bobtail84 »

100% antifreeze will freeze so don't forget to drain some out and replace with water before winter... say from mid Aug... :roll:
Range Rover 3.9 with MegaSquirt and EDIS

www.essex-ms.co.uk

Return to “Cooling Area”