Running without thermostat

General Chat About Cooling & Overheating

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

adamnreeves
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Running without thermostat

Post by adamnreeves »

I've been wondering how much the standard RV8 thermostat impedes water flow by, when open of course. Running a Westfield which is a summer car. Westfield have a compromised cooling system I need as much flow as I can get.

sidecar
Top Dog
Top Dog

Re: Running without thermostat

Post by sidecar »

adamnreeves wrote:I've been wondering how much the standard RV8 thermostat impedes water flow by, when open of course. Running a Westfield which is a summer car. Westfield have a compromised cooling system I need as much flow as I can get.
The thermostat is supposed to create a restriction even when it is open, the idea is that the pump can then build up the pressure of the coolant to a figure that is higher than the blow off pressure of the radiator cap. The pressure in the coolant system of the block could be around 30 PSI. This raises the boiling point of the coolant and helps stop steam pockets forming.

I've read in a book that removing the thermostat is a red herring, the temperature of the coolant immediately around the temp sender may be less so the gauge reads lower but the heads could be suffering from local hotspots due to steam pockets caused by the lack of pressue.
Last edited by sidecar on Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

adamnreeves
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Re: Running without thermostat

Post by adamnreeves »

I see. I also been informed that it would take too long to come up to temperature if at all. I'll leave it in. At least I can observe what effects changing the cover to lower the top hose will have.
sidecar wrote:
adamnreeves wrote:I've been wondering how much the standard RV8 thermostat impedes water flow by, when open of course. Running a Westfield which is a summer car. Westfield have a compromised cooling system I need as much flow as I can get.
The thermostat is supposed to create a restriction even when it is open, the idea is that the pump can then pbuild up the pressure of the coolant to a figure that is higher than the blow off pressure of the radiator cap. The pressure in thhe coolant system of the block could be around 30 PSI. This raises the boiling point of the coolant and helps stop steam pockets forming.

I've read in a book that removing the thermostat is a red herring, the temperature of the coolant immediately around teh temp sender may be less so the gauge reads lower but the heads could be suffering from local hotspots due to steam pockets caused by the lack of pressue.

topcatcustom
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by topcatcustom »

I wondered whether the flow would be too quick for the water to conduct the heat quickly enough- meaning the radiator and temp sender would see a lower temp but the block and heads could be higher? Feasable?!
TC

adamnreeves
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by adamnreeves »

Which leads me to a question I have. When my coolant temperature is 87c and using my infra-red probe on the temperature sender I observe the heads are 110c. not sure what to expect?
topcatproduction wrote:I wondered whether the flow would be too quick for the water to conduct the heat quickly enough- meaning the radiator and temp sender would see a lower temp but the block and heads could be higher? Feasable?!

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi,
you can buy high flow thermostats from various suppliers, never used one but they look like a solution.
http://www.summitracing.com/search/bran ... toview=SKU
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ian Anderson »

kiwicar wrote:Hi,
you can buy high flow thermostats from various suppliers, never used one but they look like a solution.
http://www.summitracing.com/search/bran ... toview=SKU
Best regards
Mike
a mate with a Ford302 in GT40 (Edelbrock Performer heads) had overheating probs and fitted one of these and was pleasantly surprised by the difference

Ian
Owner of an "On the Road" GT40 Replica by DAX powered by 3.9Hotwre Efi, worked over by DJ Motors. EFi Working but still does some kangaroo at low revs (Damn the speed limits) In to paint shop 18/03/08.

unstable load
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by unstable load »

Take your thermostat and cut the arms that hold the spring mechanism off the body. Toss the spring bit and refit the body. The restriction caused by the body will be the same as an open 'stat.

Did it on my Mini and my Alfa. Rover garaged at present, so not applicable.
Cheers,
John

unstable load
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by unstable load »

Take your thermostat and cut the arms that hold the spring mechanism off the body. Toss the spring bit and refit the body. The restriction caused by the body will be the same as an open 'stat.

Cheers,
John

TVRleigh
Getting There
Getting There

Post by TVRleigh »

unstable load wrote:Take your thermostat and cut the arms that hold the spring mechanism off the body. Toss the spring bit and refit the body. The restriction caused by the body will be the same as an open 'stat.

I'm doing this on my Racer, as I have the non dissy cover, and running with the minimum of hoses, so don't have any bypass
Engine gets upto temp quite quick. within 5 mins
Engine Temp sensor is about 10 oC hotter than radiator sensor.
Current V8 car TVR 400SE 240 BHP
Current Project TVR Tasmin Race, with 3.9 running at 230 BHP
Currently building a 4.6 300 BHP Xbolted Engine for it. Solid Lifters and Group A rockers, Stange 4 heads, Pocketed piston, fully balanced.

kev_the_mole
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kev_the_mole »

I just made up a couple of ally restrictor plates so I can fettle the size of the hole for hot/cold weather use.

Also having an electric pump means that I can warm up pretty quickly in cold weather buy switching it off and on over a couple of minutes simulating a much lower pump speed.

It's an engine Jim.....but not as we know it ;)

topcatcustom
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by topcatcustom »

TVRleigh wrote:
unstable load wrote:Take your thermostat and cut the arms that hold the spring mechanism off the body. Toss the spring bit and refit the body. The restriction caused by the body will be the same as an open 'stat.

I'm doing this on my Racer, as I have the non dissy cover, and running with the minimum of hoses, so don't have any bypass
How much lower if at all does the engine run like this with no stat centre? It should flow a bit more freely as even with an open stat the centre piece is still there creating a slights restriction, I'd just like 5 or so knocked off my temp.
TC

adamnreeves
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by adamnreeves »

Yeah that's the kind of change I am after. I'll report back this weekend.
topcatproduction wrote:
TVRleigh wrote:

How much lower if at all does the engine run like this with no stat centre? It should flow a bit more freely as even with an open stat the centre piece is still there creating a slights restriction, I'd just like 5 or so knocked off my temp.

unstable load
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by unstable load »

Accepted theory is that without the centre the ngine may appear to run cooler, but in actual fact the heads may be experiencing spots where the water is boiling due to the effects of not having the pump "working" against the restrictor.
In other words, the water gets to freewheel about the engine and this can form hot spots. THe pump needs some "back pressure" which is given by the restrictor.

Anyone else out there disagrees, please set me right.
Cheers,
John

sidecar
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by sidecar »

topcatproduction wrote:I'd just like 5 or so knocked off my temp.
What stat are you running? I run a 74 degree stat and my stage III 4.6 runs at around 78 degrees.

Return to “Cooling Area”