Any ideas please

General Chat About Cooling & Overheating

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

CastleMGBV8
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by CastleMGBV8 »

Guys,

I have the same Performer manifold and had no problem with the old 3.5 engine but when I installed the new 4.35 engine it overheated and suffered from airlocks even after trying all the usual tricks.

Drilled the two holes as Pete suggested and problem solved, apparently the original Rover manifolds have the bleed holes as well as the Offenhauser ones.

Mines still running a little warm in traffic but i'm sure this is caused by circulation of the hot air back under the rad and i need a duct to stop this happening, the MG originally had some sort of fibre shield to stop this but mine had disintegrated.

Kevin.

gelmonkey
Sergeant Monkey Face

Post by gelmonkey »

Will post pics of engine up tonight.
Will also drill the 2 holes in the fanimold and try again.
I also have anothe rguage so if all else fails I can try that as well.
Can't do it during the day as I have to get a huge powerboat finished in time for it to leave the marina on Monday.
Poxy boats and poxy work :lol:

thanks again for the help guys
Cheers
P

sidecar
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by sidecar »

mgbv8 wrote:
The hole in the top of the stat flange does the same job doesnt it?
You would have thought so and I'm sure that it is required.

The post that was on this forum years ago explained it better than I have. The guy used heat sensors that he glued to the manifold all over the place. He found a huge difference in the coolant temperature with the coolant behind the thermostat not being as hot as the coolant in the channels that the holes are drilled into. Hence drilling the holes allow this hot coolant to get to the thermostat.

My mate borrowed my infra red non-contact thermometer and found the same temperature gradient before he drilled the holes.

I still think that Gelmonkeys problem is more of a red herring due to the temp gauge lying to him! (Still worth drilling the holes in my humble!)

sidecar
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by sidecar »

gelmonkey wrote: Poxy boats and poxy work :lol:

thanks again for the help guys
Cheers
P
Don't you mean epoxy boats and poxy work!! :D

gelmonkey
Sergeant Monkey Face

Post by gelmonkey »

Havent done anything on the car yet but thought I would show you a picture of the poxy boat I have been working on all week.
No cooling problems for this bad boy.

Nice,but it's not a Speckled Hen.
P

sidecar
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by sidecar »

gelmonkey wrote:Havent done anything on the car yet but thought I would show you a picture of the poxy boat I have been working on all week.
No cooling problems for this bad boy.

Nice,but it's not a Speckled Hen.
P

Jeeze!

(Is that person in the window of the bridge you? :D )

gelmonkey
Sergeant Monkey Face

Post by gelmonkey »

Hi Pete and all other forum legends

I have a result :D :D :D :D
I drilled the 2 holes as suggested and tried that but to no avail.
I then changed out the guage and hey presto a proper reading at long last and the fan kicks in just above half ,fantastic and what a relief.

Thank you to all who have helped me with this.
Pete,that is not me up on the bridge but one of the engineers who was kneeling on the dash.
Big boat and so much gel work to do in very little time.
This one is off to Moscow on Monday and this is the kind of thing we work on regularly.
Still rather have my car though in all honesty.
Thanks again to all.
cheers
Paul

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ian Anderson »

Mr Monkey

What sort of value is a "small boat" like that fetching now?

It certainly looks impressive but I'm sir Rabnovich would not need it as it's too small

Ian
Owner of an "On the Road" GT40 Replica by DAX powered by 3.9Hotwre Efi, worked over by DJ Motors. EFi Working but still does some kangaroo at low revs (Damn the speed limits) In to paint shop 18/03/08.

gelmonkey
Sergeant Monkey Face

Post by gelmonkey »

Hi Ian
or is it Sir Rabnovich?
This 95ft plastic pig would cost you a cool £5.5million plus the Vat.
Obviously small change for a man of your international standing and overt wealth :lol: :lol: .
When I was out in Croatia 2 weeks ago working the owner of that boat had his own Lear Jet for god's sake.
These buyers have so much loot it makes you sick.
We worked on another 95 2yrs ago and this one was owned by a 29yr old stunning Russian girl who wanted a plaything for the weekends
:shock:
How is it we all work so bloody hard and yet will never have this kind of wealth.
As always for me it is a case of ,just a gelmonkey and always will be and I think I like that just fine.

Shall I place an order for you for the new 130ft model due to see daylight in 2012 Ian?
£15m will get you a peice of that.
Cheers
Paul

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ian Anderson »

Me

No more like Rab C Nesbit!

A 2 foot boat on the boating pond is about all I can afford!

They really are impressive - I remember crawling over a few at the Earls Court show a number of years ago.

Actually my brother referred to them as "f&%$ off boats"
Meaning F"£$ off mine is bigger than yours!

Ian
Owner of an "On the Road" GT40 Replica by DAX powered by 3.9Hotwre Efi, worked over by DJ Motors. EFi Working but still does some kangaroo at low revs (Damn the speed limits) In to paint shop 18/03/08.

gelmonkey
Sergeant Monkey Face

Post by gelmonkey »

:lol: :lol:

sidecar
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by sidecar »

gelmonkey wrote:Hi Pete and all other forum legends

Paul
"Legends"....Leg-ends more like!

Good to hear that you've sorted it out, as I suspected it was not actually over heating, the gauge was telling you lies.

I've PM'd you some links to some infra red thermometers, one of them is only 20 quid. It would be worth getting one so that you can compare your gauge to what the thermometer shows. They are very useful bits of kit, I used to set up the wheels on my sidecar using one, I monitored the tyre temperature then made adjustments to get the read the same across the tyre. I even balanced the radiators in the house with it.

I did also find out what the temperature of my cats bum is but the figure escapes me at the moment. :D
Last edited by sidecar on Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

CastleMGBV8
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by CastleMGBV8 »

Paul,

Glad you got it sorted and it was only the gauge, cant trust those leccy things, nothing like a good old fashioned capillary one.

The holes will also help the temp balance behind the thermostat so worth doing anyway.

Nice liitle boat, I wouldn't feel too poor turning up at Porto Banus in that.

Keep up the good work.

Kevin.

gelmonkey
Sergeant Monkey Face

Post by gelmonkey »

Good morning Gents.

Pete,I will get one of those infra red temp units when I go into town this coming week.
Checking out the cats bum ?
You need to get out more mate :lol:

Kevin,thanks for your kind words and I am going to go over to a proper set of gauges later on this year.Muscle Manta and I are going to America in August for a car show and there will be loads of trade stalls there and a set of Auto Meter Pro Comps are already on my shopping list.
As for the boat I reckon any of us would be happy turning up anywhere with one of those.

I did have a feeling that the gauge was wrong and you guys helped confirm that.At least now I know that all that can be done to help the flow around the stat is done and that I have gained some extra knowledge thanks to you all.

Cheers
P

Return to “Cooling Area”