General Chat About Cooling & Overheating

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Andy515666
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Oil Cooler .. Yes? No?

Post by Andy515666 »

Hi Everyone

I have found stored away in my garage an oil cooler whcih came off a previous 3.5 (i didnt own that motor) and its in very good condition with mounting brackets etc all ready to go.

Just wondering the pro's and con's on using an oil cooler?

Im running a RV8 3.9 with fast road cam, performance inlet mani, 500 cfm edlebrock carb, stage 2 heads. :D

Chur Bro

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

First question is do you need one? If the answer is not really or don't know then don't use one. If the answer is definitely yes then use it but use an in-line stat or a lot of the time your oil could bee too cold.
Only one pro and thats if your oil is overheaing then it will cool it.
Cons, coolers cause a restriction to the oil flow which could result in lower oil pressure. As I said before if you don't use a stat the oil can be too cool which leads to extra load on the pump lower oil flow and lost power.

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

there is a lot of debate whether the RV8 needs a cooler or not. I suppose it depends on installation etc. I have just removed the oil cooler from my MGB and will be fitting a Laminova heat exchanger soon, then maybe an in-line stat. I will be nailing the nuts off it though most of the time so thought it prudent to fit one :)

ppyvabw
Guru
Guru

Post by ppyvabw »

I think it depends on the application. My mgb has one, with a thermostat and the cooler does get hot, so the thermostat obviously thinks it needs one. lol

I get oil drain back problems though which I suspect is due to the cooler. The rover oil system is best kept as simple as possible I think so if it doesn't need one, don't use one.

JP.
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by JP. »

The answer is, fit an oiltemperature gauge and then you'll know for shure.
Oil temp should not be higher than 10 degrees Celsius as your water temp.

Robrover
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Robrover »

Depends on intended use and the climate you live in. For competition use yes, fit one. I have them fitted to my Minis but I live in Australia where it gets pretty darn hot in the summer time. Haven't bothered fitting one to the SD1 and it doesn't seem to be a problem.

Lewis
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Lewis »

The oil in my sump never gets above 90 degrees, even under heavy use........Even though my engine bay is SCORCHIO! :lol:

Going to check the gauge out anyway, just in case. Sometimes sits at 60/70 for too long for my liking, bit too cold.

Might invest in a 90 degree thermostat and oil cooler anyway, for the summer months :)

growler

3.9 in a stag

Post by growler »

Hi
Is any body running a 3.9 without an oil cooler.
I'm near to fitting my 3.9 in my stag and think it would easier not to fit an oil cooler my old 3.5 never needed 1 but they are fitted as standard on the 3.9 range rovers.
Regards Adrian
Drive it like you stole it

RoverP6B
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by RoverP6B »

I know that the Rover P6 with the 2.2 litre engine had a factory fitted engine oil cooler.

The climate that you live in will be a contributing factor. As has been mentioned, living in Australia can get very hot, especially anywhere away from the coast....40 degrees plus in summer, so keeping cool is not always easy.

I have a 13 row engine oil cooler fitted to my 4.6, oil temperature gauge and sender in the sump where the oil would be at its coolest. Anything much above 24 degrees C, especially in traffic will see 80 to 90 degrees on the gauge, and that is within 15 to 20 minutes. Above 30 degrees in traffic and 100 to 120 degrees C on the gauge.

People always say to me....why does your car feel like an oven.

Ron.
4.6 Rover 3500 P6B

Return to “Cooling Area”