4.6 GEMS cooling pluming & thermostat before or after ra

General Chat About Cooling & Overheating

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

SuperV8
Guru
Guru

4.6 GEMS cooling pluming & thermostat before or after ra

Post by SuperV8 »

I have a 4.6 with gems inlet manifold and front timing over.

There are two coolant outlets on the inlet manifold. I'm guessing one goes to the heater, the other goes to the back of the plastic thermostat hosing. Then the heater return also goes to the back of the plastic thermostat housing along with the pump inlet?
Can someone confirm if this is correct? Would the larger of the two inlet manifold coolant outlets go to the heater or the back of the thermostat?

Also is this the best possible cooling set up? was thinking of going back to have the thermostat in the inlet manifold? If I did were would the second outlet on the inlet manifold go?

Sorry one more question... If the later gems cooling system is the best, are there different temp thermostats available?

As always all help is much appriciated.
Thanks,
Tom.

Dax Rush 4.6 supercharged V8 MSII

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

To you first question, the upper (sideways) outlet from the inlet manifold is the feed for the heater.
The return from the heater goes to the 'stat housing, as does the other outlet from the manifold.
There is also a feed from the header tank that goes into the 'stat housing.

I suspect it is the best idea to have the stat in the bottom hose, as it seems to be common now, but I've not heard the definitive answer as to why.

Don't know if different temps are available.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

TVRleigh
Getting There
Getting There

Post by TVRleigh »

I have the same system as above.
Could you run this system with both these returns blocked and run with a restrictor or no thermostat or just the thermostat plate.

I don't need a heater in the car, as its track use only, and what to simply the plumbing.
Current V8 car TVR 400SE 240 BHP
Current Project TVR Tasmin Race, with 3.9 running at 230 BHP
Currently building a 4.6 300 BHP Xbolted Engine for it. Solid Lifters and Group A rockers, Stange 4 heads, Pocketed piston, fully balanced.

SuperV8
Guru
Guru

Post by SuperV8 »

Thanks Chris,

Do you know if the stat housing diverts the flow?

Just wondering if it doesn't then when hot not all the coolant would pass through the rad, some would still bi-pass.

I've found other rover models which have different temp stats in the housing.

Next question... Everyone seems to suggest running a slightly cooler stat, maybe 82degs, this would be in the inlet manifold, so would that also apply to a remote stat on the outlet of the rad? I suppose it still sees engine coolant from the inlet manifold so an 82degs stat would be good?

To TVR Leigh, Personally I wouldn't run without a stat. I think you could blank off the heater outlet but should keep the other bi-pass outlet to the back of the stat.

If you do run without a stat then you could block both off as you'd have a constant flow. IMP. :roll:

Tom.
Dax Rush 4.6 supercharged V8 MSII

TVRleigh
Getting There
Getting There

Post by TVRleigh »

SuperV8 wrote: To TVR Leigh, Personally I wouldn't run without a stat. I think you could blank off the heater outlet but should keep the other bi-pass outlet to the back of the stat.

If you do run without a stat then you could block both off as you'd have a constant flow. IMP. :roll:

Tom.
Just to let you know I ran without the stat (well I cut remove the insides and just used the ring), and all the outputs blocked off.

I'm running a high lift cam also, and getting about 230 BHP,

And was running at 88-92 oC on the track the weekend. Radiator temp was about 74-79
Current V8 car TVR 400SE 240 BHP
Current Project TVR Tasmin Race, with 3.9 running at 230 BHP
Currently building a 4.6 300 BHP Xbolted Engine for it. Solid Lifters and Group A rockers, Stange 4 heads, Pocketed piston, fully balanced.

Seight-V8
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by Seight-V8 »

i've got a 4.6 in a westifled and i put a 82degc stat back in the therostat housing on the manifold, but with a straight outlet.

The large pipe on the left of the manifold i blocked off and modified the underneath of the manifold to take the heater outlet from the underside....like the 3.5-3.9 manifolds. (much neater for me).

The small outlet from the manifold front, then plumbs back in to the water pump inlet, with a modified return from the heater, that also runs under the manifold using a silicone t-piece.

So no heater water pipes running over the engine.

Temps are 82-88degc driving...

scott

Return to “Cooling Area”