Only one outlet on water pump serpintine system?

General Chat About Cooling & Overheating

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Muscle-Manta
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Only one outlet on water pump serpintine system?

Post by Muscle-Manta »

I have a problem changing from the earlier Rover v8 engine setup to the serpintine later type as the water pump doesn't have the small outlet for the heater hose my earlier pump had.

Is anyone aware of a serpintine water pump to fit an intrim front cover with two outlets or sutable lower rad hose with a "tee" I could use to get around the problem?

Thanks in advance

Paul.

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

try here for a T piece.
http://www.cbsonline.co.uk/modular-hose ... -481-c.asp
They used to do ally T pieces aswell.
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

Yes, you have an interesting mix, I had the same issue with my Landie.

The heater circuit on the Range Rover Thor (and presumably GEMS) engines is that there is a heater feed from the inlet manifold adjacent to the thermostat housing (for which you can just use the heater feed at the rear of the carb manifol).

Then the heater return goes directly into the thermostat which is sat in the bottom hose. The header tank also feeds into the thermostat. Then of course you remove the 'stat from the top hose, and away you go!

Not sure what happens if you have a valve in the heater circuit though..... (like I have and has just occurred to me!)

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

richardpope50
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by richardpope50 »

On my (TVR) serp engine the hose that connects to the water pump (return from rad) has a small spur that goes to the heater (return). The heater feed connects to an inlet port below plenum chamber on driver's side front.

There are numerous silicon hose suppliers or you can get a simple connector - I got mine from Merlin Motor sport. Try Rally Design too.
Richard.
Dax Rush 5.0l TVR V8, EFI with Megasquirt ECU and wasted spark, Racelogic Traction Control and Quaife LSD ....... Now nut and bolt restoring a TR6

Muscle-Manta
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Muscle-Manta »

Thanks for your suggestions guys. Looks like the 'T' to fit in the bottom hose is the way to go.

Just got to find a suitable hose now as the one I previously used was a flexi ribbed one which would not be suitable for cutting and inserting the 'T'.

Cheers,

Paul.

Muscle-Manta
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Muscle-Manta »

Another query I have with using the intrim serpentine setup with carb is whether to route the small cooling pipe I have coming off the thermostat cover into a T on the top hose as there is no outlet for it on the intrim cover?
Or I could just replace the thermostat cover with an SD1 thermostat cover which dosen't have the small outlet at all. This would be simplier, however would it allow the coolant to circulate properly around the system?

The heater circuit would run from a T on the bottom hose through the matrix and on/off valve into the outlet at the rear of the Edelbrock manifold.

If anybody is running a serpentine system with the Edelbrock manifold and Carb please let me know how you have over come the lack of outlets on the water pump and timing cover.

Thanks, paul.

sidecar
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by sidecar »

Paul,

Personally I would not run that ribbed type of coolant hose, your 4.6 lump will need everything in its favour in order to keep it cool. I can't see that ribbed stuff flowing as well as a smooth bore hose.

Pete

Muscle-Manta
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Muscle-Manta »

Thanks Pete, It had to go anyway as it wouldn't have been suitable to cut for the "T" to be inserted.

I pm'd "TopCat" after reading his thread "Another Heater Plumbing question"
as he has the same set up as I have. After reading his reply I think the only mods I need to do is to T the heater into the lower rad hose and drill some small holes in the stat it's self and change the thermostat housing for the SD1 type without the small inlet/outlet. Or do as Top Cat has done and seal the small inlet/outlet.

Paul.

Return to “Cooling Area”