Thermostat housing

General Chat About Cooling & Overheating

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

v8alex
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Thermostat housing

Post by v8alex »

What thermostat housing do I need ? I have a 3.5 RV8 with Edelbrock Performer dual plane inlet manifold. The Rimmers catalog state two types of housing are available - standard or P6 type. The P6 type has an integral bypass pipe which is suitable for Edelbrock manifolds. Just want to check that's the one I need - I'm assuming the plumbing is different.

Alex

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

That depends on whether you need the bypass pipe connection or not. What manifold do you have/did you have before the performer?

v8alex
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by v8alex »

Good point - I guess my question is what does the bypass pipe do for me. I didn't have a manifold before - just building up the engine from scratch.

I've also done a bit more research and looked at a few build sites and other builders seem to use the standard housing with an Edelbrock performer.

Alex

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

your probably best with the bypas type, it goes to one of the heater connections on the pump. Its good for clearing air locks and also allows a nice flow of coolant to stop hot spots in the heads. If you heater circuit is the constant flow type with flaps then you would get away without it but if its the shut the water off type then I would say its a must.

Return to “Cooling Area”